✅ SOLVED some sort of coat of arms or just decorative?

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dug this little brass guy today. It is a sturdy little piece with the attachment broken off. it looks like it had a stud type like a collar disc. Thought for sure it would be marked Taiman or something similar but it has no markings at all. Looks enameled to me. Found on an old site with history that is all over the board. I dont think its too old but you just never know. Thanks for lookin vn

Attachments

• 20211106_182455.jpg
    20211106_182455.jpg
    583.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20211106_182547.jpg
    20211106_182547.jpg
    528.5 KB · Views: 38

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was granted to the Cadillac Family by the King Of France... and is a sign of nobility...

Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats odd is the not "typical" design.... for the car that is... now i am not Caddy guy... nor even a car guy for that matter... but the quick search i just did yielded no exact match... perhaps a weird year or some special thing...

OR... it not related to the car...which would be of interest for sure... so dont pitch it just yet i would say.

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henry M. Leland (formerly of the Leland & Faulconer Manufacturing Company) was the driving force for the foundation of the Cadillac company in 1902 but, neither he nor anyone involved, had any family connection to Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac or that coat of arms. The company chose “Cadillac” as its name for aspirational reasons. They hoped to bring to the automotive industry the courage, enterprise and ability that the French explorer had shown; and because they were in Detroit.

The Cadillac arms were first used on their cars in 1905 and registered as a trademark the following year.

ADDITION: If the badge doesn't match for anything actually used by the company, it might be for one of several Cadillac "clubs" formed by owners and enthusiasts... generally from around the 1950s onwards.

PS: should have said that Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac was the founder of the city of Detroit in 1701

Last edited:
Upvote 6

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Henry M. Leland (formerly of the Leland & Faulconer Manufacturing Company) was the driving force for the foundation of the Cadillac company in 1902 but, neither he nor anyone involved, had any family connection to Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac or that coat of arms. The company chose “Cadillac” as its name for aspirational reasons. They hoped to bring to the automotive industry the courage, enterprise and ability that the French explorer had shown; and because they were in Detroit.

The Cadillac arms were first used on their cars in 1905 and registered as a trademark the following year.

ADDITION: If the badge doesn't match for anything actually used by the company, it might be for one of several Cadillac "clubs" formed by owners and enthusiasts... generally from around the 1950s onwards.
The Cadillac crest was inspired from the coat of arms of French adventurer Antoine de la Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, who founded the city of Detroit in 1701 and is said to have been an ancestor of Cadillac's founder, Henry Leland".

is the "story" anyway.

Upvote 5

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cadillac crest was inspired from the coat of arms of French adventurer Antoine de la Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, who founded the city of Detroit in 1701 and is said to have been an ancestor of Cadillac's founder, Henry Leland".

is the "story" anyway.

It's a good story but seems to be a myth which has been much perpetuated. Maybe it suited Leland to allow it to be so. The Cadillac company itself makes no such claims, beyond being “named after” Detroit’s founder and using a derivation of his coat of arms:

https://media.gm.com/media/me/en/ca...on Cadillac cars,six ancient courts of France.

Also, most sources agree that Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac made up his own coat of arms and did not in fact descend from Royal or aristocratic French stock, nor have the arms granted as the emblems would suggest. In fact, Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac wasn’t even his real name. He was born plain old Antoine Laumet and adopted the new name and title sometime after arriving in America.

Upvote 2

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actuallly i think they were like some sort of "Martins"... or ..,.. errrr.... NO NOT martians,,,, :P

Um... like Martingales ? ? ? or some weird bird like that.
Out of curiosity i checked using the above great link by AU Seeker... which in fact provided the correct name...

" merlettes"

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread