πŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Some strange evil looking thing in the woods. Petroglyph or natural....

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found this strange thing in the woods and wanted your opinion. Looks like a carved face on the stone although I do realize it's probably natural. I checked the stone for any cracks to see if there's a water infiltration that could have caused it but didn't find anything. Anyways, just wanted your opinion. I know Abenaki made stone carvings of a face on the rock cliffs, but this thing seems different. It's about 8-10 inches long and 6 inches wide.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20211128_143823.jpg
    20211128_143823.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 380
  • 20211128_143848.jpg
    20211128_143848.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 277
  • 20211128_143745.jpg
    20211128_143745.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 278
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What type of stone is it in Sandstone or granite ,being sandstone would be pretty easy to carve into granite not so much. My thoughts are there was a fossil of some type in there that weathered away leaving the impression behind.
Yes, could be the case. I thought also that this rock could have been submerged a while back. Whirlpools of underwater sand and underwater debris can sometimes erode holes in the rock.

Upvote 1

cathexis

Sep 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As implied above, the problem is provenance, meaning how do you know it wasn't carved in modern times? If it was carved at all. It doesn't look natural to me, but that doesn't prove antiquity. I'd say look around and see if there are any others? Also, did you pull anything out of the ground around it? Whenever I come across a large solitary rock in the woods, if it is nearby where current or past folks have/do live, there are almost always beer caps, spent shells or other trash to be found. Something about how folks go walking around the woods - they just always plop down for a spell on any big rock like that. I have found the trash I described multiple times in just that situation. You could also poke around in the soil for fallen stone fragments or non-ferrous trash like broken beer bottles. My best guess would be if you can't pull anything from the soil around it, or see signs of maybe stone fragments laying about, then maybe it is both not-natural and older.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As implied above, the problem is provenance, meaning how do you know it wasn't carved in modern times? If it was carved at all. It doesn't look natural to me, but that doesn't prove antiquity. I'd say look around and see if there are any others? Also, did you pull anything out of the ground around it? Whenever I come across a large solitary rock in the woods, if it is nearby where current or past folks have/do live, there are almost always beer caps, spent shells or other trash to be found. Something about how folks go walking around the woods - they just always plop down for a spell on any big rock like that. I have found the trash I described multiple times in just that situation. You could also poke around in the soil for fallen stone fragments or non-ferrous trash like broken beer bottles. My best guess would be if you can't pull anything from the soil around it, or see signs of maybe stone fragments laying about, then maybe it is both not-natural and older.
No trash what so ever, it's very deep in the woods. Very occasional shotgun shell, that's it. I checked under the rock and around it, nothing. About 2 miles away there was an Archaic - Woodland period Native village,but of course, it doesn't mean they are related, just giving more detail about the area.
It could be from later period, but I doubt it's very modern, all the portions of the rock are weathered.
Or again, could still be natural.

Upvote 1

stoneshirt

May 3, 2003
Santa Marta de Magdalena,Colombia
Boy,this might outdistance Oak Island.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
there looks to be other dimples and pock marks on this stone. granite will freeze/thaw and pieces can "pop" off.
I've considered this option as well but those holes are pretty deep and look almost polished inside. I have hard time imagining it being from a natural process.

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know, almost lost my fingers today. Better get a better pair, the problem is I go through them one pair every few weeks, so seems like a waste of money destroying a nice pair of warm gloves.
Get you some nitrile gloves to wear as liners. You might be surprised at how well they work.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Get you some nitrile gloves to wear as liners. You might be surprised at how well they work.
I'll try that,thanks. I usually wear a very thin cotton glove underneath my mane glove, they work great. Just didn't have any that particular day.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread