Someone have to ask (Maryland MD's 2019)

Arthur Salomon

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is for the newbies that are still confuse after hours of hours of research to where you CAN, CAN’T or/and MAY metal detect. I’ve seen so many posts in this forum with great finds. Without getting in the discussion of specific places, such as State Parks, County Parks, State Forest, DNR, etc. Where do you guys metal detect, do not tell me everyone is hunting ONLY in Private Land! I think people should share their experience, I’m not talking about telling the location of your jackpot, I’m talking about where are YOU hunting, most important what kind of LAND it is. To clarify, I’m just trying to resist to the fact the LAWS, REGULATIONS, RANGERS, OTHER PEOPLE are just making this lovely Hobby harder every day. Finally, before you criticize my thoughts remember when you started this hobby and compare to where this hobby is taking us now. Just like when they say it does not hurt to ask, have you ever ASKED permission to metal detect in a City park?

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
I hunt the water only, reason. AA County "where I live" it's SOB to detect any where and that includes the land to "cross" to the water. I would recommend visiting a Metal detecting club in your area. Every county is different. The permits forums to hunt Baltimore county parks can be obtained at the MARS metal detecting club along with other information that can help.

Maryland Artifact Recovery Society

PG County I see is where you live. Not good, other then I did a few schools when I lived In PGC. Just not sure how safe it is anymore. A few places I hunted, William Wirt, then there was Laurel town park. That was several years ago..2007

Good Luck..

Leaken

Tenderfoot
Mar 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We are in Cecil County.
The parks near us are fine to hunt. We also have stopped at many places to ask. There was an old schoolhouse and we asked the owner. We found an old railroad lock and a wheat penny and TONS of pulltabs.
We have three 1800's houses that we have permission to check but haven't had time. You need to drive around, stop and chat with the owners. Find something you have in common. In this area people love Trump, family and guns.

There is an apple festival coming up, and afterward we are going to search the parking field.

We do NOT find the amount of gold rings and silver that others do. I am not sure how that happens.
At a town playground near us, we DID find a sterling Norweigian pickle fork though!

Lea

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Harford. Harford does not allow detecting in parks, neither does the town of Bel Air. Sandy Point State Park allows detecting on the beach ONLY. And they mean it. Baltimore County Parks are ok as long as you have a free permit, from the Dept. of Parks and Recreation. Baltimore City Parks is allowed but you have to have a permit which you have to purchase.

I do private permissions, as most parks have been hammered, although some stuff can still be found, mainly new drops.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This post is for the newbies that are still confuse after hours of hours of research to where you CAN, CAN’T or/and MAY metal detect. I’ve seen so many posts in this forum with great finds. Without getting in the discussion of specific places, such as State Parks, County Parks, State Forest, DNR, etc. Where do you guys metal detect, do not tell me everyone is hunting ONLY in Private Land! I think people should share their experience, I’m not talking about telling the location of your jackpot, I’m talking about where are YOU hunting, most important what kind of LAND it is. To clarify, I’m just trying to resist to the fact the LAWS, REGULATIONS, RANGERS, OTHER PEOPLE are just making this lovely Hobby harder every day. Finally, before you criticize my thoughts remember when you started this hobby and compare to where this hobby is taking us now. Just like when they say it does not hurt to ask, have you ever ASKED permission to metal detect in a City park?

First off Do not Hunt Illegal Places !

However, IF You feel the Laws are not meant for You,

Maybe I'm reading this Wrong, if I am, Others may also.

So

Do NOT Admit to Hunting Illegal Places on Treasure Net !
If you do, You will be Deleted & Banned.

Last edited:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't mess with parks and schools unless I just need some dig therapy. They are just not productive enough for me. I have found a gold ring here and there at the park but its few and far between. When I have encountered a park ranger they've been super nice and wished me luck. I read the rules online and on the signs in advance. I am sure if I called the office they would give you the default " no its not ok" and then go check for themselves lol. I only am comfortable detecting where I am welcome. Navigable waterways seem to be fair game unless they are somehow protected i.e. historical sites.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread