Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you wanted to talk to somebody who knows the ins and outs of Tesoro, you'd need to find the lead engineer, Rusty. I don't know his last name but he was well-known to be the guy behind the scenes who made the technical aspect of Tesoro work. In the end, he was trying to clear the backlog of repairs to customer machines himself.
Rusty Henry was head of customer service. Towards the end, he probably did all the repairs himself. He was not an engineer but probably knew as much about the circuitry as anyone.

Kalvin

Greenie
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@nuggetshooter323
Rusty sounds like a stand up guy. People often forget it takes guys like him to make a company great.

@Carl-NC
The risk of sending your "one" chip away makes me cringe. lol. I would a need a few more working models in my hand to take that chance.

I think the schematic I found is most likely yours. Four hand drawn sheets. Good work. When the weather cools off a bit more and I'm stuck in the house, I might do the same with the Golden3 version, just to compare what the differences are.

Were you doing this out of curiosity? Plans to build? Repairing units?

"Lots of metal detectors will discriminate out pull tabs"

You are 100% correct. lol. I should have been more specific. Discriminate out pull tabs and still see gold rings. Discriminate out foil tops off sports drinks and still see gold rings.

Rusty Henry. Is he a member here?

Have a great evening gents.

Digginitdaily

Apr 24, 2023
Does anyone here on TN know the owners of Tesoro? Why don’t you talk to them and convince them to revive Tesoro if not through Tesoro why not through another metal detector company. Sort of what like Whites did with Garrett. I absolutely love the simplicity of Tesoro. I own Garrett’s but there are too many settings to fumble with. Tesoro should sell their intellectual property to a company that will continue to produce and improve on what I thing are damn great detectors!!! Sure there are others out there with modern features but Tesoros in my mind are still a hell of a lot better!!!!!!
From what I understood when I inquired about repairing my tesoro they sold out to another company. The company that bought them out allowed them to produce a following year or so. When that time was up the company decided to no longer venture into that line electronics. I could be wrong but If I'm not mistaken the rights were bought from tesoro. I use a garrett everyday and sometimes I have to read the manual again. But overall I do pretty well with it .

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the schematic I found is most likely yours. Four hand drawn sheets.
Sounds like mine.

Were you doing this out of curiosity? Plans to build? Repairing units?
Curiosity.

"Lots of metal detectors will discriminate out pull tabs"

You are 100% correct. lol. I should have been more specific. Discriminate out pull tabs and still see gold rings. Discriminate out foil tops off sports drinks and still see gold rings.
If a pull tab and a gold ring have the same time constant, then no detector can tell them apart. And if you are discriminating pull tabs with any detector, you WILL miss some gold rings. That's the nature of phase discrimination.

Kalvin

Greenie
Jul 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like mine.

Curiosity.

If a pull tab and a gold ring have the same time constant, then no detector can tell them apart. And if you are discriminating pull tabs with any detector, you WILL miss some gold rings. That's the nature of phase discrimination.
I agree. If a pull tab and a gold ring have the same time constant the detector can not tell them apart. I do believe that many gold rings and pull tabs have different time constants. The resolution on most detectors is too coarse to tell the difference.

There is definitely some thing different with the Golden uMax. A fellow detectorist set up a blind test with approximately 60 gold rings and assorted style of pull tabs. Now this test was rushed and I was not wearing my headphones (so we could all hear the signals). The accuracy was uncanny. I eliminated over 70% of the pulltabs. I did miss a few bigger chunky gold rings (Think class ring style). I'm sure if I had access to these rings a little longer I could decrease the missed ones.

Something my mind has always been stuck on is this line .....

"All metal targets have distributed time constants: the only targets that have fi rst-order-like time constants are non-ferrous rings."

What is a first order like time constant? What is a distributed time constant?

This reference can be found in the this article from an engineer from minelab. Page 23.

Just a few thoughts. :)

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
What i Liked was the pftttt sound ....
1694516321062.jpeg

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something my mind has always been stuck on is this line .....

"All metal targets have distributed time constants: the only targets that have fi rst-order-like time constants are non-ferrous rings."

What is a first order like time constant? What is a distributed time constant?
A complete pull tab has a ring and a beaver tail. The ring and the beaver tail each have a different time constant, but you get both responses at the same time. I call that a "multiple domain" target, but "distributed" works as well. Can slaw is notoriously multiple-domain, as are most gold nuggets and complex jewelry like a ring with a setting or chains with a clasp.

US coins are single domain but they have a start-up inertia and can initially look lower conductive before they settle into their steady response. A lot of Euro coinage is bi-metal and have multiple domains.

Only a simple non-ferrous ring truly has a single time constant. Unlike coins, there is no start-up inertia.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread