Something about Tesoros

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorting through some of the brand forums here, it seems that Tesoro owners are just plain more loyal to the brand than others. Is that really true, or just a marketing strategy nurtured by those posters who are "riding for the brand"?
I briefly owned a Sand Shark and sold it before I could really use it, but I was impressed with the thing. My current machine is a Minelab Xterra 705, but the thing is complicated enough that I don't have confidence that I am getting the most from it -- and the experience I gained using it has pretty much gone to waste over the past year as I ground through the long process of having back surgery. Haven't swung it since last spring.
I read these comments about the dead-simple Vaquero and its brother, the Outlaw, and wonder if they would be better machines for this geezer.
And a question for Tesoro cognoscenti: Someone in a thread here said the lifetime warranty is transferable. When did that happen? I thought it was original owner only.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts, advice, raspberries, whatever ...

:notworthy:

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warranty original owner only, it's on their website.

I have the latest upgraded F75 and when both in disc mode, my Vaquero beats it in identifying that there is positively a high conductivity target a foot deep.

The F75 all metal mode beats the Vaquero.

The Vaquero is almost half the weight.

If you dont want to ground balance, grab the Cibola, save almost $100 over the Vaquero, and dont sacrifice much depth. I have the Cibola and Vaquero. I use the all metal of the Vaquero a lot.

The Outlaw I have isn't my favorite.

Tesoro has a $50 checkout fee if you're not the original owner. That covers the labor and check out, Allan will call you for payment if parts are needed. Allan and Rusty are great, they've fixed things for me that I screwed up for no charge.

I'm rambling now, ask away...

Last edited:

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, it IS original owner only, on the warranty. BUT! Tesoro is very reasonable about fixing their machines owned second hand... $50, and most of the time, that covers it. The thing is, they will STILL work on machines that have been discontinued and out of production for years... how many other companies do that? PLUS, all-American made and family owned.

P.s., I am getting nothing from Tesoro for this post... I just love their product, that's all, and I am just a lowly plebe on the Tesoro fan totem pole.

Electricfrontporch

Dec 28, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There definitely are a lot of Tesoro enthusiasts.
If you give one a shot you may become one also!
Sturdy, lightweight, affordable, amazing iron discrimination, lightning fast recovery,
and the best warranty in the business.
I started with another brand and after using a friends Tesoro I was hooked.

Noah

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a Royal Sabre from 84 or 85, stored in my eaves. Discovered in when I returned home from up North 25 years + later. Continued squeal, so called Tesoro - they said they'd fix if for $75. But then I tarried and lost the control module. But, over 25 years later they were willing to repair it for $75. There's NO other manufacturer who would have done that.

Tesoro has my respect..

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also had a machine repaired that was probably my fault. Its kind of hard not to be loyal to Tesoro.

Vern2

Jan 26, 2017
Leesburg Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon;
Red Racer
Garrett carrot, Makro PP
Lesche shovel and knife
Killer B's head phones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, since you are used to a MD with visuals, or VID, you might want to consider the Tesoro DeLeon. It's also light weight, and it speaks the truth 90% of the time. If it's a quarter, it's a quarter.

I also had back surgery 21 months ago. While the surgery was successful, I know I will never be the same ever again. So buddy roo, I am pulling for you.

75% of the time I hunt with the Deleon with a 5.75 Concentric coil attached. The small coil makes the D even lighter, without losing anything. Love it!
This setup will also be easier on you physically. Swing all morning. Notice I said all morning, not all day. Learned my lesson the hard way. "A man has to know his limitations." i.e. Clint Eastwood

Good luck, Bill.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks fellas. Good feedback.
Vern, I have been following your DeLeon adventures, and that detector seems to be serving you well. Had two fusions in 2012, then an L4-5 laminectomy last month, so I am still feeling pretty tender and have learned the hard way about overdoing it!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not a shill, but Vince Gifford is a homey, and Rusty Henry is a friend. I've been to the factory several times, and met most of the employee's. I've been using Tesoro machines for over 20-years now, because they are the lightest, toughest, most easy to use machines on the market. The REAL selling point for me though, is that they are just as deep and sensitive as machines TWICE as expensive.

Hope you join the cult, err, I mean club! :laughing7:

Attachments

• jones72311 019.jpg
    jones72311 019.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_20160511_151630.jpg
    IMG_20160511_151630.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • Chap4 (3).jpg
    Chap4 (3).jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 77
  • geek1.jpg
    geek1.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 100
  • tst1.jpg
    tst1.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 110

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I love my CTX, make no mistake.

But if I ever buy another detector, I'm pretty sure it will be a Tesoro.

Otherwise, detectors seem to be taking only baby steps in innovations, milking the market. That's why I originally went Minelab - the only major step in innovation I've seen. I hoped for more on the new upcoming ATP, but again see it's only a bit of baby stepping = just adding frills like all the others.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, you have done an awful lot for Tesoro with your many videos, which have given me a lot of pleasure and inspiration over the years.
Deepseeker, I just wish Minelab weren't so bloody expensive. I could never hope to recoup a fraction of the investment at the rate I tend to use an MD.
Best,
bill

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, Tesoro is the way to go!.....honestly!!
I own a Cibola, and a Fisher GB-Pro, but love the Tesoro for no-nonsense
depth and discrimination! Light weight, and tough. I use it primarily when I hunt
a certain city park, that has MANY changes in ground mineralization, that always throws
my GB for a loop! Nice having factory pre-set ground bal., that gives me more freedom.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep for me the same. I own multiple detectors but i always grab my Lobo Super Traq. I also have the Fisher Goldbug Pro and people find me crazy that i don't use this one and choose the Lobo, a 20 years old detector instead. For me it's just much more fun using Tesoro, easier in use, better results and a can do more detecting in the same time. Don't get me wrong, the FGP is a good detector but in my eyes, the Lobo is much better. It has a better discrimination and i can put the discrimination much lower to get rid of bottle caps,beaver tails and still detect all the coins and most of the gold. If i am in an area with lott of bottle caps, the FGP is useless.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep for me the same. I own multiple detectors but i always grab my Lobo Super Traq. I also have the Fisher Goldbug Pro and people find me crazy that i don't use this one and choose the Lobo, a 20 years old detector instead. For me it's just much more fun using Tesoro, easier in use, better results and i can do more detecting in the same time. Don't get me wrong, the FGP is a good detector but in my eyes, the Lobo is much better. It has a better discrimination and i can put the discrimination much lower to get rid of bottle caps,beaver tails and still detect all the coins and most of the gold. If i am in an area with lot of bottle caps, the FGP is useless.

pinenut

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2016
where bigfoot roams
Detector(s) used
Various Tesoro - mostly Bandido II μMAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
None of us are paid or sponsored by Tesoro, as far as I can tell.

I like 'em 'cause they're rugged, made in USA, inexpensive and... they work well. From the experience I've had in dealing with Tesoro, they're also very pleasant to talk to; a friendly bunch. Call 'em and they answer the phone (!) - no stupid computerized phone system to run you 'round in circles. Ask them a question by email, and you'll usually get a reply the same day. Repairs are super speedy. Nothing here to complain about.

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had two Tesoro's in my almost two decade time hunting. The Bandido II and the Deleon. I have also owned the XTerra 70.

My top machines have been the Deleon for 5 years, then the Fisher F5 for another 5, and now the LRP for almost 3 years. Each has their strengths as well as their cons.

The Deleon is a great machine that gave me years of good hunting. The cons for it are that it is a single tone and has a preset ground balance. Also, unless your eyes are good, the screen is tiny compared to the XTerra you use ( or most of todays detectors). But the Pro outweigh the cons once you learn the how to "hear" what Tesoro's sound is telling you. A coin sounds different than a pull tab. After awhile, the sounds break on the edges of junk but sound pure on most coins. Same with a ring over can slaw. The sound is distinctive, and Tesoro users have learned this language well.

Now the Deleon is the better of the two display units manufactured by Tesoro, IMO. IF you need a VID to help you out, the Deleon has the five bar graph style conductivity meter. A little outdated, but still effective. It has the depth in numbers (which are usually never accurate on most detectors) and a two digit conductivity ID. My Deleon got 8 inches best in depth, and most finds were about 6 inches or less using the VID (disc). The AM modes of Tesoro's are among the best made. And the Deleon is no slouch. Coin sized objects at 10 inches will vary the threshold. VIDs effect depth. If you want deeper, I only know the Tejon gets the deep stuff from Tesoro. I haven't used any other Tesoro's, except I had a Bandido II which I wouldn't recommend, since I hear the Vaquero is a better unit.

I loved my Deleon. It is heavier than the microMax machines though. I finally traded it for a Minelab Xterra 70. It was a mistake I had to learn, as I didn't like the XTerra after using it, and sold it two weeks later. I'm not going to knock the Xterra, it just wasn't a machine that I personally could get in sync with. The Deleon (like most Tesoro's) are just high on the fun factor scale.

Hobojo

Dec 9, 2013
South Orange County CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Vaquero, Outlaw ,Cibola, Sand Shark,
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Safari.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well... I have both the Outlaw and the Xterra 705. I thought as most do that the tone/Id machine was going to give me some bit of secret knowledge, allowing me to only get the good stuff. Nope. I have found that the Outlaw and it's related family members are the misunderstood folks down the street. They are often seen doing things the old fashioned way and are mistaken for a bunch of hicks. Well when lights go out and the internet goes down, Im heading over to their place.
You can have your fancy machines with all the bells and whitsles, or you can do it the old fashion way. For me I prefer it the old fashioned way. We aren't a bunch of cultist or hicks, we just love the simple tried and true Tesoro product because it brings us back to the good O'l days and finds the goodies without all the fuss.
Dig on my brothers and sisters.

OP
OP
B

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Y'all have convinced me. As I mentioned in Vern's DeLeon thread, I bought one this morening from Keith at Fort Bedford. Can't wait to have it in hand.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a golden sabre II not the micro and found a lot of silver with it.
I don't know if it was because I brought it in first to my hunting spots or it was a awesome machine but I did dig a lot of silver coins with it and could tell it was silver 90% of the time. If my wife was around I would say "watch this is a silver coin" she would laugh and say "yeah right" and out would pop a silver dime or quarter lol.
I actually wouldn't mind coming back to tesero if they would offer a multi freq water machine like a ctx. Hell I would even take a Multi tone at this point. I know the reasons they and others say they don't but still just make it so you can shut the features off that others don't need.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread