Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday I asked for permission to hunt around an older looking house, but the owner directed me to a foundation on his property which he said was older. The cellar hole looked old enough, but unfortunately it was occupied into the 1960s when it burned down. Around the foundation was a thick layer of modern trash, so I ranged out a bit trying to get some evidence of just how old the site may be. The only two items that give me some hope are the strap tippet and the drawer pull, which are things that show up on late 18th / early 19th C sites. I did find a cool woman's broach and a creepy doll head.
Foundation.jpg

Here is the Broach. I'm not sure what it is made of. but I suspect it is plated. A jewelry expert dates it to about 1900/1910.
Broach in hand.jpg

Front and back after a little cleaning.
Broach front.jpg Broach back.jpg

Has anyone ever got the feeling that you're being watched when you're out in the woods?
I left her in the woods, but now I have to go back and get her because my sister wants her :laughing7:
Doll Head.jpg

UPDATE: I went back at lunch today and secured the doll head for my sister. She was right where I left her, patiently waiting...
I was in there for one minute tops and and found a tick on my leg when I got back in the car.
Doll on log.jpg

Here is the take from this place. The owners told me it had been hunted before, but I think it's worth another visit.
4-17-21 All.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 49

TimberCrack

Jul 30, 2013
wyoming
Detector(s) used
white's 6000/D coin master
White's MXT
Garrettt ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Doll Head is prime example of" coyote ugly" from previous owner...The other finds are cool though!!!

John Matuszak

Sep 24, 2020
Tennessee, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good point about how that doll started in life with a child that loved her, and now is just a creepy head in the woods. It would make a good children's story. But this time it has a happy ending as she is now in my utility sink in a bucket getting her first bath in 50 years. And my sister is going to give her a forever home. I just hope she isn't cursed or a haunter :laughing7:

Well goodness, if that's not a nice conclusion to the hypothetical kids' book then I don't know what is.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I had stopped scrolling at the brooch, which is beautiful. Didn't need to see that doll head, which is way beyond creepy!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The creepy factor was going through the roof, but cooler heads prevailed :laughing7:

I Always take Creepy doll parts Home. Arm. Leg, Torso or Head, Don't matter .
It's the Clean ones in the Boxes and of course Puppets that Freak me Out :coffee2:

Last edited:

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a striking resemblance between that doll and Nancy! Maybe a voodoo doll?

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Always take Creepy doll parts Home. Arm. Leg, Torso or Head, Don't matter .
It's the Clean ones in the Boxes and of course Puppets that Freak me Out :coffee2:
After all the interest this has generated, I'm convinced there is money to be made in creepy doll heads.
I think I'm going to start hoarding them :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the comments, the doll really appreciates them. She hasn't got this much attention since she was a little girl.
Now she resides at my sister's cottage, guarding the front door while my sister is away :laughing7:
IMG_20210425_115612866.jpg

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate finding dolls, creeps me out. When I saw this one, I whacked it with my shovel and ran to my truck screaming like a little girl..........................Just kidding, I didn’t whack it

Attachments

• C29BE922-73A4-4AAB-98B2-304246B4E3E1.jpeg
    C29BE922-73A4-4AAB-98B2-304246B4E3E1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 45

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice looking sash buckle, I was thinking it might have a rolled silver plating on the back. Congrats

Now that doll has seen some days of hard-nice save and repurpose.
It reminded me of when I was detecting in this 400 acre park in Toronto. Deep in a ravine and I looked down and could see a naked body laying in the watery undergrowth. Little arms and legs spread out, bent over backwards where I couldn't see the head.
Overcast a bit, heavily treed so the shadows of the forest were dark, I got the terrible feeling I came across a baby-I was torn on going down further to see or to turn and leave well enough be and just report it.
I thought well I've seen enough now that the vision is in the head-so I went down the steep embankment through the watery area to the body. The jabs of fear were jabbing me terribly as it wasn't death of a body, I seen adults times before-but not a small baby. I merely had to be on top of it before I realized it was the body of a cat that had lost it's pelt-bloated up just enough to look different-it still gives me the shivers just thinking about it today.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate finding dolls, creeps me out. When I saw this one, I whacked it with my shovel and ran to my truck screaming like a little girl..........................Just kidding, I didn’t whack it
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7: That's a classic creepy doll there. You should have taken it home and put an add in the lost and found :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice looking sash buckle, I was thinking it might have a rolled silver plating on the back. Congrats

Now that doll has seen some days of hard-nice save and repurpose.
It reminded me of when I was detecting in this 400 acre park in Toronto. Deep in a ravine and I looked down and could see a naked body laying in the watery undergrowth. Little arms and legs spread out, bent over backwards where I couldn't see the head.
Overcast a bit, heavily treed so the shadows of the forest were dark, I got the terrible feeling I came across a baby-I was torn on going down further to see or to turn and leave well enough be and just report it.
I thought well I've seen enough now that the vision is in the head-so I went down the steep embankment through the watery area to the body. The jabs of fear were jabbing me terribly as it wasn't death of a body, I seen adults times before-but not a small baby. I merely had to be on top of it before I realized it was the body of a cat that had lost it's pelt-bloated up just enough to look different-it still gives me the shivers just thinking about it today.
I can appreciate your apprehension in that situation.

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That brooch is a real beauty Steve, I'm amazed at how well the plating held up. :thumbsup:

I don't know why, but I find doll heads just plain creepy! :laughing7:

Seeing the pic of her all cleaned up, she doesn't look quite as scary now... but I bet your sister appreciates her.

Attachments

• Doll Head.jpg
    Doll Head.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hate finding dolls, creeps me out. When I saw this one, I whacked it with my shovel and ran to my truck screaming like a little girl..........................Just kidding, I didn't whack it
I bet this is exactly what you did Bob... I know that's what I'd do! :laughing9:

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I concur with the verdict on the doll head but that brooch is beautiful!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread