Something Different (when you can't metal detect)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get out much with the detector in the summer months. In fact, I haven't dug a hole since Memorial Day. But I found something else to occupy my time until the fall season.

A friend turned me on to a spot along some railroad tracks where you can find these crystals. I am told the yellow ones are Citrine, and the deep purple ones are Amathyst. There is also a lot of white Quartz.

Here are my better ones from yesterday. Spent about 1.5 hours before it got too hot.
7-15-22.jpg

I have been filling these bottles with them. I have also been filling small bottles with the little pieces and giving them to friends.
Bottles.jpg

Here the better ones I have collected over the last few weeks, minus those I have given to people.
All as of 7-15-22.jpg

Thanks for looking folks :thumbsup:

Upvote 44
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I showed my brother a picture. He makes jewelry. He said it's pretty common stuff and not jewery quality. But he didn't look at them first hand. I'll bring some next time I see him and see what he thinks.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get out much with the detector in the summer months. In fact, I haven't dug a hole since Memorial Day. But I found something else to occupy my time until the fall season.

A friend turned me on to a spot along some railroad tracks where you can find these crystals. I am told the yellow ones are Citrine, and the deep purple ones are Amathyst. There is also a lot of white Quartz.

Here are my better ones from yesterday. Spent about 1.5 hours before it got too hot.
View attachment 2036989

I have been filling these bottles with them. I have also been filling small bottles with the little pieces and giving them to friends.
View attachment 2036990
View attachment 2036992

Here the better ones I have collected over the last few weeks, minus those I have given to people.
View attachment 2036993

Very Cool!!! The purple ones do look like Amethyst. Congrats!!!

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you for sharing! Now I know what that shiny yellow rock I found is! Citrine! Nice collection!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 2036989

View attachment 2036990
View attachment 2036992

View attachment 2036993

very cool, thanks for posting that

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2036989

View attachment 2036990
View attachment 2036992

View attachment 2036993

Those are some beautiful stones!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are neat! Take two pieces of glass and build a wood frame that would allow for an inch of space between them, fill the space with the crystals, and hang it up in a window that gets direct sun. It makes a great prism-like hanger that looks kinda like stained glass. I have made them with multi-colored glass shards before.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good Steve :)

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are neat! Take two pieces of glass and build a wood frame that would allow for an inch of space between them, fill the space with the crystals, and hang it up in a window that gets direct sun. It makes a great prism-like hanger that looks kinda like stained glass. I have made them with multi-colored glass shards before.
That's and interesting idea.

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice little gems. When I was a kid I remember finding some rocks that had small garnets on them and I chipped them off and saved them. Would putting these stones of yours in a rock tumbler make them shiny, or would it just ruin them?

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool
I might start looking for crystals too

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice little gems. When I was a kid I remember finding some rocks that had small garnets on them and I chipped them off and saved them. Would putting these stones of yours in a rock tumbler make them shiny, or would it just ruin them?
That's a good question. I don't have a rock tumbler. but it might be worth getting one and trying some out. I did run into a guy where I find these that said he puts them in a rock tumbler.

TX75972

May 27, 2020
San Augustine TX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely worth buying a rock tumbler & giving the stones a bit of polish. Besides using them in or on clear glass panels, some people but them in jewelry bezel pendants. Orgone energy enthusiasts use them in their handmade orgone generators. You could also mount them in clusters of the same stone in a lapidary display case & sell them. They make great gifts for kids. Include a short history on each stone, as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread