🔎 UNIDENTIFIED South American in origin?

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My wife brought me this medallion (don't know what else to call it) and asked
if I could find out anything about it. Included in the lettering on the stamp is
.925, so I know it's sterling. I believe there is turquoise inset in the front.

My instinct is that it's not very old..maybe from the 1950's?

christie (1).jpg

christie (2).jpg

christ1 (1).jpg

christ1 (2).jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it might be a two piece medallion? The back looks like it was stamped from the inside, making the numbers and letters backwards. I see Plata 925, which makes me agree with GCP that it's from Mexico or some other Spanish speaking country.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks all for the great input...I'll pass it along to the Queen..:occasion14:

Upvote 0

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
It appears to be a blend of longer term Mayan used symbols along the outside to me with some celtic like marks that may be one of a kind. Very modern post 1985?

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be a blend of longer term Mayan used symbols along the outside to me with some celtic like marks that may be one of a kind. Very modern post 1985?

Gulf Coast Pirate and Doubter in MD are correct that the mark is ‘GUADMEX’ for Guadalajara, Mexico together with ‘PLATA 925’ for sterling silver… shown as a reverse stamp as Cudamark says.

Lots of companies and individual silversmiths made (and still make) these as tourist-ware brooches or necklace pendants, inset with turquoise. Mackaydon is correct that the design is loosely borrowed from ‘Mexica’ calendars, sunstones and such used by the Aztecs and other Pre-Columbian peoples of central Mexico.

It’s not “very modern post 1985” though. Around 1980 Mexico adopted silver marks based on letters and numbers with the first letter identifying the city of production, the second letter giving the first or last name of the maker, and the number denoting the maker’s registration. The mark here predates that change. I read the maker mark as ‘GOG’, which I’m not familiar with, but there are many smaller makers whose marks are not reliably documented.

From 1948 the Mexican Government began promoting the use of ‘Eagle marks’ including a number to identify manufacturer but the system was widely disrespected, leading to it being abandoned and replaced by the letter and number system in the 1980s. In the first half of the 20th century (and into the earlier part of the post-1948 period when eagle marks began to be introduced) pieces were just marked "silver" (“plata” in Spanish), usually with a fineness indication, or "sterling", and a town name. The maker’s initials or other identification may or may not be present. The mark on this item is typical for that period.

Here's a couple of similar vintage items with pre-1980s marks. Note that the second one has an ‘Eagle mark’ to the right, so that puts it in the 1948-1980s region.

Aztec1.jpg Aztec2.jpg Aztec3.jpg Aztec4.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 11

GlowingArtist

Oct 8, 2022
Phoenix
Gulf Coast Pirate and Doubter in MD are correct that the mark is ‘GUADMEX’ for Guadalajara, Mexico together with ‘PLATA 925’ for sterling silver… shown as a reverse stamp as Cudamark says.

Lots of companies and individual silversmiths made (and still make) these as tourist-ware brooches or necklace pendants, inset with turquoise. Mackaydon is correct that the design is loosely borrowed from ‘Mexica’ calendars, sunstones and such used by the Aztecs and other Pre-Columbian peoples of central Mexico.

It’s not “very modern post 1985” though. Around 1980 Mexico adopted silver marks based on letters and numbers with the first letter identifying the city of production, the second letter giving the first or last name of the maker, and the number denoting the maker’s registration. The mark here predates that change. I read the maker mark as ‘GOG’, which I’m not familiar with, but there are many smaller makers whose marks are not reliably documented.

From 1948 the Mexican Government began promoting the use of ‘Eagle marks’ including a number to identify manufacturer but the system was widely disrespected, leading to it being abandoned and replaced by the letter and number system in the 1980s. In the first half of the 20th century (and into the earlier part of the post-1948 period when eagle marks began to be introduced) pieces were just marked "silver" (“plata” in Spanish), usually with a fineness indication, or "sterling", and a town name. The maker’s initials or other identification may or may not be present. The mark on this item is typical for that period.

Here's a couple of similar vintage items with pre-1980s marks. Note that the second one has an ‘Eagle mark’ to the right, so that puts it in the 1948-1980s region.

View attachment 2076594 View attachment 2076596 View attachment 2076597 View attachment 2076598
I guess you have to be familiar with Mayan Sun Pendants and the actual tribal-like shape around the outside in tourquoise. It doesn't match here.

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess you have to be familiar with Mayan Sun Pendants and the actual tribal-like shape around the outside in tourquoise. It doesn't match here.

Not correct... and it also helps to be familiar with the chronology of silver marking in Mexico.

Note that I said “loosely borrowed from ‘Mexica’ calendars, sunstones and such used by the Aztecs and other Pre-Columbian peoples of central Mexico”. I’m referring to Mexica cultures collectively, not specifically or exclusively to the Maya.

For comparison, here’s a drawing of an Aztec calendar stone together with an enlargement of its central deity, alongside the OP’s piece of jewellery:

Aztec.jpg

The border is not composed of “some celtic like marks that may be one of a kind”. It’s a geometric design known as a “meander”, commonly referred to as a “Greek key” but other ancient cultures used variants of it, including in China and Mexico. Here’s a variant of it on a frieze from the Mayan “Temple La Iglesia” at Chichen Itza in Mexico, alongside the OP’s piece of jewellery:

Meander.jpg

in both cases, the designs are loosely copied, as I originally said.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The stonework is what is known as "chip inlay"made of chips of turquoise (or sometimes dyed howlite) mixed with epoxy resin. The technique was supposedly invented by a Navajo silversmith named Tommy Singer sometime in the 1960s.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
DizzyDigger

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Red-Coat..I could write a bunch of flowering words of appreciation, but I'll just leave it at....YOU ROCK! Thanks so much for the great info. The Queen is thrilled...(happy wife, happy life!).

BAW..thanks, I was wondering how they did that.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions