South-central IN finds from this past spring part 4 - Broken shield type bannerstone

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once the spring hunting season had pretty well wrapped up, due to the favorable weather conditions and the crops being too tall, I was hoping to find something and decided to take a page from Twistedsifter's playbook when he was up here in Indiana. He dubbed it, "corn snorkeling." I'm glad that we went. The no-till field where my son found the Clovis is no-till but was put into corn this year, after the nitrogen had been put on and the corn was around 7' tall, me and the boys went out looking. Within the first 5 minutes, my son yelled out, "Arrowhead!" I went over and took the in-situ...
IMG_3557.JPG

A little while later, I spotted something that I though was just a broken piece of deteriorating plastic but I picked it up anyway. After rubbing off a little dirt, I found a channel and knew immediately what it was, so I put it back for a fake in-situ...

IMG_3560.JPG

It turned out to be a banded slate, shield type bannerstone that was broken down the spine.
IMG_E3564.JPG IMG_E3565.JPG
IMG_E3566.JPG IMG_E3568.JPG

It is the second piece of a bannerstone that I've found on that hill within 25 yards of each other. My wife found a banded slate, full groove axe up there and we've found a bunch of points up there as well. Hopefully there's an intact bannerstone waiting up there somewhere.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Just think what lies beneath the plow line in that area.

Twistedsifter

Jan 20, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Epic!!! I found a piece of broken polished slate up there as well, don’t think it was a banner though. I miss indiana, truly a nice place.

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Just think what lies beneath the plow line in that area.

I do wonder about that because we've found quite a few artifacts in pretty small area and I'm sure that it was a small Native American camp. However, digging for the purposes of finding artifacts is illegal in Indiana. We do chisel plow and disk on our property and my father-in-law's property where the camp was located. The neighbor who owns the rest of the small camp and what is now freshly harvested corn field went to no-till many years ago. I'm thinking that both fields will be single crop soybeans in 2021. If so, I'm going to ask our neighbor if I can chisel plow that knoll that connects with us in the fall of 2021 and then disk it for them in the spring of 2022 so that it's ready for planting. It's only about 3/4 acre or so. I'd really like to see what might flip out.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would like to see other finds from that area., Nice haul.

Here are some of the artifacts that we've found in a little area that I'm convinced was a NA campsite on our property. Many have been posted on TNet before. It's a little hill above a spring and we sit up above a creek. Everything in the photo was found in an area that's only about 1/2 acre and there were some other items that aren't pictured (hammerstones, thumb scrapers, et al.). We've found a broken celt, several other points and scrapers, a mano, a rough drill, a perforator, and other items on different parts of the property (~40 acres total). I'll try posting some of those on this thread tomorrow or the next day. One of them is a whatsit that I don't think that I've posted before.

some artifacts from the hill.jpg

The resolution isn't the best, but I can post better photos of anything that you'd like to see better photos of. To the lower left are the banded slate, full groove axe that my wife found and at the bottom is a piece of slate that I'm pretty sure is the wing of a bannerstone. I'm not sure what the larger spherical stone is, but I don't believe that it's natural. My wife calls it a petrified walnut, which is a good size reference because it's the size of a green walnut. The other round lithics have obvious signs of use (i.e. polish or small parallel scratches). I'm not sure what the little triangular lithic at the bottom right is... it does have some fine parallel lines on the edges and I think that somebody else posted one on here a while back.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

H.P.

Aug 15, 2020
Safety Harbor Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Here are some of the artifacts that we've found in a little area that I'm convinced was a NA campsite on our property. Many have been posted on TNet before. It's a little hill above a spring and we sit up above a creek. Everything in the photo was found in an area that's only about 1/2 acre and there were some other items that aren't pictured (hammerstones, thumb scrapers, et al.). We've found a broken celt, several other points and scrapers, a mano, a rough drill, a perforator, and other items on different parts of the property (~40 acres total). I'll try posting some of those on this thread tomorrow or the next day. One of them is a whatsit that I don't think that I've posted before.

View attachment 1873359

The resolution isn't the best, but I can post better photos of anything that you'd like to see better photos of. To the lower left are the banded slate, full groove axe that my wife found and at the bottom is a piece of slate that I'm pretty sure is the wing of a bannerstone. I'm not sure what the larger spherical stone is, but I don't believe that it's natural. My wife calls it a petrified walnut, which is a good size reference because it's the size of a green walnut. The other round lithics have obvious signs of use (i.e. polish or small parallel scratches). I'm not sure what the little triangular lithic at the bottom right is... it does have some fine parallel lines on the edges and I think that somebody else posted one on here a while back.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
All very nice, an exceptional grey serrated point mid left...you’re fortunate to live so close to an artifact site, thanks muchly for sharing, as I’m also interested in seeing stuff from north of Florida.

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other
That site is giving you a terrific collection. Is that little bifurcated point a LeCroy? What a beauty!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread