Southwest Montana, sunny, a bit breezy, the pan had a little glimmer

Mar 22, 2016
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello,
First time poster. Me and a friend were out scouting, sampling, sifting material. We are new to the game and happy with our early results. Was curious as to what this awesome forum thought? The colors on the right were after running 2, full 5 gallon buckets of 1/2" classified material through a 54" sluice. The dirt was about 2 feet from surface, just below the soil layer. We were a yard or so behind a large boulder. The second pan is a bit softer, and was about 1 1/2 buckets of material.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-11.jpg
    FullSizeRender-11.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_5060-2.JPG
    IMG_5060-2.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Upvote 4

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pan

Since you are just starting out. Learn how to check to see if the mineral estate belongs to someone else. This is an important tool in prospecting.
Check here..Welcome to Land Matters
Then here....LR2000- BLM

Just because you don't see any signs or the claim notice papers are old, that doesn't mean the claim is not valid.

With that said - Keep looking and have fun. I love the color of gold.

Hello,
First time poster. Me and a friend were out scouting, sampling, sifting material. We are new to the game and happy with our early results. Was curious as to what this awesome forum thought? The colors on the right were after running 2, full 5 gallon buckets of 1/2" classified material through a 54" sluice. The dirt was about 2 feet from surface, just below the soil layer. We were a yard or so behind a large boulder. The second pan is a bit softer, and was about 1 1/2 buckets of material.

OP
OP
T
Mar 22, 2016
Montana
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thank you for the tools and notice, I have been checking those regularly, as well as this helpful forum, YouTube, and GPAA. I've been running the MC reports on LR2000 and there is nothing coming up for the area that I am working. It is on the border of private property. I walked about and found the a fence line which I am assuming is private. Are the maps exact, or is there a degree of error in placement? I feel that I am on BLM land which is clearly posted. Should I be checking more to make sure? I was thinking of heading into the BLM office just to double check.

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont mind me asking: where are you at in southwest montana? I was in Wisdom last summer working as a fisheries tech. and did a little treasure hunting in the area.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep digging, congrats, I know nothing of panning for gold, I know gold rings, chains and pendants?

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a fence line and the BLM boundary is clearly marked...you should be good to go. Better to stay under the radar in my opinion.
As long as you are being respectful of public land they shouldn't give you any grief.

Thank you for the tools and notice, I have been checking those regularly, as well as this helpful forum, YouTube, and GPAA. I've been running the MC reports on LR2000 and there is nothing coming up for the area that I am working. It is on the border of private property. I walked about and found the a fence line which I am assuming is private. Are the maps exact, or is there a degree of error in placement? I feel that I am on BLM land which is clearly posted. Should I be checking more to make sure? I was thinking of heading into the BLM office just to double check.

Mkriegs

Sep 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool. I spent a little time on the madison. Actually found a buffalo horn near cardwell

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions