SOV GT Coil

Heavy

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2008

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
iv bought 5 new ones and prob 8 used...i might have been lucky but i never got a bad one. i think if you shop around you can get a new one for around $800.00 and i always feel better with a warranty even if iv never had to use it. to me if it were the diff of $200 id go for the new one with a warranty. dont be afraid to contact a few diff dealers as some will give you better deals than others.and look into the Sun Ray S12 coil. iv used them all and for me the S12 is just right.it's weight is same as stock 10" coil that comes with the GT .the WOT is a good coil but is VERY heavy and a bit harder to pinpoint with. i hit dimes at 15" with my GT and S12 . i hip mount everything to keep the weight off my arm...oh and when you buy head phones be sure and get a mod with the right angel plug...if you ever hip mount it in the bag you need that plug to allow the lid to the bag to close good. i like the Jolly Roger's the best of all iv tried. good luck!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would go new i got a used Elite Sovereign i just got and it does not work right....... I say i am never going to buy used again ....... Then i do and get screwed........

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 343
OP
OP
H

Heavy

Tenderfoot
Nov 30, 2008
Thanks for the addvice Digger. Other than a little slow recovery speed (which I like taking my time) - you feel the GT is right at home coin/jewelry hunting on land?

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally 1 would get a new one then there is no worry's its a great machine , i use mine mainly for fields and wooded areas i do like beaches though in wet sand its great , i use the Tornado stock 10" coil and the Intruder S-12 coil ounce for ounce the 12" is a little lighter then the 10" coil i was surprised , get a hip mount bag ! i keep my bag at chest height i can swing that rod all day there is really no weight with the hip bag , i did mount a Sun Ray S-1 search probe 18 inches higher then where it normally belongs above the hand grip only because i am 6-5 inches tall and to get a full swing while using the hip bag i had to at chest height ,still the search probe has really not much weight to it . All in all the Sov GT is one of the best machines out there Minelab wins hands down :icon_thumleft: for service and depth . I included a few pictures of my machine set up to my liking not pictured i use the Black Widow headphones and Joe Patrick,s Insight 180 ID meter built in the control box . Jim HH :thumbsup:
You might want to send Mike- Woodland Detectors 4-H- T-Net member and Minelab dealer a PM he,s a great guy and wont steer you wrong .

Attachments

• 100_1405.jpg
    100_1405.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 253
  • 100_1406.jpg
    100_1406.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 263

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
I would buy used to pay for the add on accessories.The Sovereign for land hunting IMHO isn't complete without a meter.The S-1 probe is a nice addition also.The 800 Tornado coil is my favorite for trashy parks in my area,which has produced a lot of silver coins missed.A used GTs at a decent are hard to find,but maybe you could find one with a meter and extra coils. Good Luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread