Sov GT - What have I found?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't say what settings you were using, but by the "size" of the sound, it is either too large for a single coin or a lot of targets close together. Not knowing your settings, I'd guess it is a alum can if you have Iron Mask on.

You should have tried to pinpoint and worked out the size by using the front of the coil.

SamsSon

Jul 11, 2008
Sandman is right.

The GT will go very deep on large pieces (or groups of pieces) of metal. I once dug down about 4 feet to find a piece of well casing.

Pinpoint like Sandman wrote and if you don't dig the target within 12 inches fill the hole and move on. In yards I don't dig over 8 inches deep myself.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :)...The sound of a..GT..Sovereign or any Sovereign ...I could make a CD of that sound and play it at bed time to lull me to sleep......................

OP
OP
P

Polarbeer

Jun 12, 2008
Sweden
I use the settings in the manual under "quick operating instructions.

I have it set to pinpoint all the time, is that bad?

I have notch off, sens auto, disc at 9 o' clock, tresh just hearable.

And I do have it set to iron disc.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Polarbeer said:
I use the settings in the manual under "quick operating instructions.

I have it set to pinpoint all the time, is that bad?

I have notch off, sens auto, disc at 9 o' clock, tresh just hearable.

And I do have it set to iron disc.

Why are you searching in pinpoint all the time? In the pinpoint mode the ground balance is disabled and it can become a little erratic.

I am primarily a beach hunter so keep that in mind, I personally use no notch and the most I would ever set my disc is at 1, (not the o'clock position) Most times I use no disc at all.

Here is a good link for you to read, it may give you some helpful information...........

http://www.joanallen.co.uk/a_testreports/sovereign.html?src=internal

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
I agree with Sandman, you can tell from the reluctance at the beginning of the tone. The machine wants to reject but the taget is too big to ignore.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
sewer cover

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey Gadabout, like you, that sound can put me to sleep :wink:

Treasurehunter, thanks for the link :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread