Not open for further replies.

Bender

Jun 11, 2016
Northwestern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i will be in the cocoa beach area for my Xmas holidays this year (22 days). Wondering if there are any pointers, tips for areas to check out with my son (trying to get him hooked on detecting). We have

Thinking about the Sebastian inlet/ampersands areas but really don’t know much about them.

Will be using a garret Atgold and a teknics 4000 (if that matters)

Any info/directions/tips/ would be greatly appreciated

Take care,

Ben

Upvote 1

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well if you are hunting TC gold and silver from the wrecks, then if some good storms occur that erode the beaches, that is a starting point. Even storms in that area that are building the beaches can wash new treasure up from the wrecks which are off the coast 1-2 miles.

Otherwise use google earth and locate the public beaches near you with the largest parking lots. If you don't know how to read the beaches and hunt wet sand learn. if not, stick to the towel lines

Also hunt in front of the biggest and most expensive hotels and condos. Better drops in those areas.

Good luck.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches were renourished again so unless there are storms to remove the sand, pickings will be slim as they dumped about 10 feet of fresh sand in that area..

Neither one of your detectors is made for saltwater beaches so will not work well below the high tide line, salt is made up of metal minerals so the detector will think there is metal everywhere and will constantly be falsing. the only way to correct that is to turn sensitivity way down which means you will get no depth and on salt beaches, everything with any density sinks almost as soon as it hits the sand. I tied a gold ring to a piece of dental floss and set it at the waterline of the beach, within 20 mins the ring was 8 inches deep.

OP
OP
B

Bender

Jun 11, 2016
Northwestern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beaches were renourished again so unless there are storms to remove the sand, pickings will be slim as they dumped about 10 feet of fresh sand in that area..

Neither one of your detectors is made for saltwater beaches so will not work well below the high tide line, salt is made up of metal minerals so the detector will think there is metal everywhere and will constantly be falsing. the only way to correct that is to turn sensitivity way down which means you will get no depth and on salt beaches, everything with any density sinks almost as soon as it hits the sand. I tied a gold ring to a piece of dental floss and set it at the waterline of the beach, within 20 mins the ring was 8 inches deep.
Well if you are hunting TC gold and silver from the wrecks, then if some good storms occur that erode the beaches, that is a starting point. Even storms in that area that are building the beaches can wash new treasure up from the wrecks which are off the coast 1-2 miles.

Otherwise use google earth and locate the public beaches near you with the largest parking lots. If you don't know how to read the beaches and hunt wet sand learn. if not, stick to the towel lines

Also hunt in front of the biggest and most expensive hotels and condos. Better drops in those areas.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply and the great tips (our condo is right

Good lu

Good luck.
Thanks for the tips, much appreciated…our condo is next to Shepards Park (pretty busy beach area) …after reading Treasure_Hunter’s remarks …I might have to pick up a new detector for the trip (or buy one there)…I didn’t even think of the diff of detecting salt water

OP
OP
B

Bender

Jun 11, 2016
Northwestern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the reply Treasure_Hunter…I didn’t even think about the diff that salt water makes. Might look into picking up a detector when I’m there, again much appreciated

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
If a new salt water beach detector is in your future for this trip, I'd suggest an Equinox 600. If prospecting is of interest to you, then the 800.

Robert S

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2021
Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 and CZ-21. Past Jetco Mustang, BH Turbo, Delta 4000, Fisher F22, T2SE, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is technically illegal to water hunt Treasure Coast Beaches. A Vanquish will do most of what the Equinox will do on the beach is excellent in the wet sand and is inexpensive. That Delta 4000 you have will tear it up in the dry, used one for years.

Last edited:

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here are the rules for around the wreck lease area only. You cannot treasure hunt or metal detect within a 3,000 yards of the center of the leased area. If the wreck is more than 3,000 east of the Treasure Coast shore, you can hunt in the water within 3,000 yard of the center of the wreck. If the wreck is less than 3,000 yards from the shore then you can hunt between the mean high tide line and mean low tide line. So for instance if the center of the wreck is less than 3,000 yards from the shore you still can hunt 3,000 +1 yards or more north of the wreck and the same with going south of the wreck in the water.

The treasure coast covers a long area of beaches just for 11 wrecks so a vast majority of the off shore water is available to hunt. I did my research when I was hunting the Treasure Coast beaches to keep legal.

In all likely hood as long as you are not scuba diving detecting out near the wrecks, nobody at all will bother you on the beach or in waist deep water. These laws were designed to keep serious poachers away from legally leased diving rights by individuals and companies.

Robert S

Tenderfoot
Sep 25, 2021
Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 and CZ-21. Past Jetco Mustang, BH Turbo, Delta 4000, Fisher F22, T2SE, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the rules for around the wreck lease area only. You cannot treasure hunt or metal detect within a 3,000 yards of the center of the leased area. If the wreck is more than 3,000 east of the Treasure Coast shore, you can hunt in the water within 3,000 yard of the center of the wreck. If the wreck is less than 3,000 yards from the shore then you can hunt between the mean high tide line and mean low tide line. So for instance if the center of the wreck is less than 3,000 yards from the shore you still can hunt 3,000 +1 yards or more north of the wreck and the same with going south of the wreck in the water.

The treasure coast covers a long area of beaches just for 11 wrecks so a vast majority of the off shore water is available to hunt. I did my research when I was hunting the Treasure Coast beaches to keep legal.

In all likely hood as long as you are not scuba diving detecting out near the wrecks, nobody at all will bother you on the beach or in waist deep water. These laws were designed to keep serious poachers away from legally leased diving rights by individuals and companies.
Wow! That's awesome. Unfortunately for me, Fort Pierce Beaches have close wrecks.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is technically illegal to water hunt Treasure Coast Beaches. A Vanquish will do most of what the Equinox will do on the beach is excellent in the wet sand and is inexpensive. That Delta 4000 you have will tear it up in the dry, used one for years.
Good point! Vanquish is an excellent choice for his purpose..

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

? ? ? Eleven what ?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can hunt the treasure coast lease beaches just stay out of the water. The leaseholders pay people who live along the shore to watch the beaches where their leases are and to report anyone with detectors in the water. I highly recommend you do not hunt in the water at all, especially waist deep, you are violating the law if you do.

Below is link to the lease locations.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just so we are clear and concise on information about the State Of Florida laws on metal detecting and lease site laws...

First lets address Pulltab Felix's opinion about metal detecting in the water around lease sites... this is in fact not legal... and not because of the "leases".

Then... Lets share correct information about what and where metal detecting is and is not allowed... as to be correct when informing people on this site about metal detecting in Florida... as to properly guide and inform.

First... anyone planning on detecting in Florida should know this first and foremost...

It is against the law to recover anything in state waters more than 50 years old In Florida state waters which include all submerged bottom lands to include lakes, rivers and three miles out into the ocean on the East coast, nine miles out on the Gulf Coast, and twelve miles out from Key West.

Sovereign submerged lands are those natural or
historically submerged lands owned by the State
of Florida, either by right of statehood or by deed
or grants. They include tidal lands, islands, sandbars,
shallow banks, and lands water ward of the
ordinary or mean high water line, beneath navigable
fresh water or tidally influenced water.
http://www.mcatoolkit.org/pdf/Public...nds_Primer.pdf

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...EChapter%20267

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...n%2012#0253.12

http://www.flheritage.com/archaeolog...water/laws.cfm

Any person who by means of excavation either conducts archaeological field investigations on, or removes or attempts to remove, or defaces, destroys, or otherwise alters any archaeological site or specimen located upon, any land owned or controlled by the state or within the boundaries of a designated state archaeological landmark or landmark zone, except in the course of activities pursued under the authority of a permit or under procedures relating to accredited institutions granted by the division, commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084, and any vehicle or equipment of any person used in connection with the violation is subject to forfeiture to the state if it is determined by any court of law that the vehicle or equipment was involved in the violation. Such person shall forfeit to the state all specimens, objects, and materials collected or excavated, together with all photographs and records relating to such material. The court may also order the defendant to make restitution to the state for the archaeological or commercial value and cost of restoration and repair as defined in subsection (4).
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...13.HTM&Title=-

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! That's awesome. Unfortunately for me, Fort Pierce Beaches have close wrecks.
Looks like you have quite a few wrecks. Sandy Point Wreck, La Holandesa, Nuestra Senora de la Popa or Orlandesa, William and Mary schhooner, wedge wreck, douglas beach wreck. I would imagine after a nice big tropical storm or hurricane, you would hitting those beaches to see how the sand was moved.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like you have quite a few wrecks. Sandy Point Wreck, La Holandesa, Nuestra Senora de la Popa or Orlandesa, William and Mary schhooner, wedge wreck, douglas beach wreck. I would imagine after a nice big tropical storm or hurricane, you would hitting those beaches to see how the sand was moved.
But I would think that they wrecks are at least 3000 plus maybe 5 - 10 yards which means you could hunt in waist deep water off the beach.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would appear Pull Tab missed our above posts.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But I would think that they wrecks are at least 3000 plus maybe 5 - 10 yards which means you could hunt in waist deep water off the beach.
Keep in mind doing so could involve fines, confiscation of your detector and car, you would be violating state laws, any object that has rested beneath Florida waters for 50 years or more is considered property of the state. The state of Florida frowns on stealing treasure from the state without their receiving their 20%.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
so it looks like to me they are talking about archaeologica sites. That is strange I have read many instances where beach combers have actually found Spanish reales, even gold chains from the wrecks and have not heard of any of them being punished in any way. Same with detectorists who find Spanish reales on the beach. Show me some news articles where people are being punished. Never heard of that or them being required to pay the state 20%.

You quoted some laws, but I see no evidence of that being enforced along the Treasure Coast other than when someone is trying to night hawk an off shore wreck that the state has leased to someone else. Never heard anything about beach finds or even in knee deep water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread