Spanish gold coins found near Gold Beach, Oregon

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
From F.L. Coffman's "1001 Lost, Buried or Sunken Treasures", c. 1957, p. 180: "9. A placer miner at Gold Beach, Oregon, recently found several thousand dollars in gold coin (Spanish - dated 1700 and 1734), while working on his claim." Black sand beaches near Gold Beach are what gave the area it's name, and it was well-named. Have been unable to confirm this statement, but that doesn't mean it's not true, only that I have been unable to find the original source.

JimJam

Apr 20, 2011
I know this post is old but did you happen to find out any more information on this? I'm new to this forum but I'm getting more and more into old coins and love seeing cool stories like this.

OP
OP
Tuberale

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Only rumors of Spanish cobs turning up near Coos Bay south to the Gold Beach area. It's been my experience there's usually some fact behind such rumors, but have not been able to verify them to date.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Ferris La Verne Coffman, by his own admission, investigated some 45,000 locations that were said to have treasure--in one form or another. Of these, he was able to 'authenticate' about 3,500 sites. For a listing of his treasure maps see items 14-30 here: http://www.treasurelore.com/florida/treasure_maps.htm
Several years ago, you could order his treasure books and maps from his wife; perhaps you still can.
You might even be able to find his notes on 'your' treasure.
You may wish to attempt to reach her here: Mrs. F. L. Coffman (P.O. Box 2573, West Palm Beach, Fla.).
Don........
PS: I don't know if she is still alive.
Good luck !!
PPS: JimJam: Welcome to Treasure Net !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread