Spanish gold cross with emeralds

oc plumber

Jan 28, 2023
Hi everyone ,first post here.
Trying to help out my father in law, he has a gold cross with emeralds in it he believes came from a Spanish shipwreck or possibly a sunk nazi u boat , I did some research and read about the atocha that Mel fisher discovered and the piece seems to very similar. It does not seem to have any id marks and comes with no paper work but my fil swears he has seen it before in a show talking about treasure linked to some sunken nazi uboat in Florida keys. Any ways was hoping somebody could shed some light/info or at least point us in the right direction. Thank you

Attachments

• 695C31CB-A0CA-4821-9958-AC400F4F92CE.jpeg
    695C31CB-A0CA-4821-9958-AC400F4F92CE.jpeg
    586.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 51290D36-0F2B-4E2B-A9E0-D8130CE3E072.jpeg
    51290D36-0F2B-4E2B-A9E0-D8130CE3E072.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 173

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good lord mate !! I've been dreaming about finding a cross like that for years. I live here in the keys, and have never herd this story before. It looks colonial spanish to me, and looks like an earring size ? Just guessing by the size of your thumb. The small articulated piece at the top of the cross looks like an earring setting. Also I can see the small blob at the base of the cross this is indicative of the Jerusalem cross used in Mexican coin mintage. Sure would love to see a few more pics please.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that a machined screw holding the swivel piece up top?
I'm with villagenut, can you take picture of the top, looks like a threaded screw in picture, but hard to see to be sure.

OP
OP
O

oc plumber

Jan 28, 2023
Update, my wife took it to a custom jeweler, and he said it appeared to be authentic and very old, due to its antiquity he advised us it would be impossible for any jeweler to give a valuation of it, but suggested we take it to a few auction houses that deal in the global market and see what they could do about getting it tested for us by x-raying it to make sure it is solid gold and have some more expert chime in about it’s authenticity. Any monies used would be simply to take care of my father-in-law even though honestly he was such a bastard to my sweet wife. He doesn’t deserve anything from her. She is just a good woman, and even better daughter trying to care for her father as his life choices made it, so he cannot do that for himself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It simply looks like a pin was pounded through to create a swivel. It does not appear to be any type of screw.
Thanks for additional pictures, it looks more like a pin than screw with new pictures. It does look authentic, do you know where father in law got it from? You could take it to the Mel fisher museum and have them look at it, it is in Sebastian, Florida.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oc plumber

Jan 28, 2023
"Thanks for additional pictures, it looks more like a pin than screw with new pictures. It foes look authentic, do you know where father in law got it from. You could take it to the Mel fisher museum and have them look at it, it is in Sebastian, Florida."

I go to West Palm Beach 1 to 2 times a year to visit my mother-in-law and was thinking about bringing it out there and having them take a look at it but when I spoke to them over Facebook they said without any type of paperwork there wasn’t much they could do, I think I am going to make a phone call and speak to somebody on the phone

Last edited by a moderator:

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, definitely not a screw...a pin of gold. Could very well be a very old piece. Don't know if you could ever 100 percent say it was a shipwreck artifact without provenance......but it looks like a great artifact nonetheless. I would get the gold tested for a high karet, that would be an important part of its identity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oc plumber

Jan 28, 2023
Good lord mate !! I've been dreaming about finding a cross like that for years. I live here in the keys, and have never herd this story before. It looks colonial spanish to me, and looks like an earring size ? Just guessing by the size of your thumb. The small articulated piece at the top of the cross looks like an earring setting. Also I can see the small blob at the base of the cross this is indicative of the Jerusalem cross used in Mexican coin mintage. Sure would love to see a few more pics please.
I added some more pics, out of curiosity if it was real and some kind of 1600-1700 Spanish gold cross what price range would you guess it’s at? I know a lot more work needs to happen on my part like testing etc but even if I can’t tie it to a shipwreck any $$$ you would estimate ?

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree, style and construction point to it being an early piece, but I have one concern--the quality of the emeralds are not what would have been considered 'gem' quality back 300-400 years ago (unless it's just the photos that make the stones appear inferior).

It would be highly unusual for a maker back then to put so much effort into making this piece with stones that would have been typically rejected as 'not good enough' to use in a piece of fine jewelry. This may suggest it's a later copy. I admit I could be wrong.

I believe you need an analysis of the gold to see if it's comparable with period pieces.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A second thread ?

This is the one addressed by me... sorry for confusion...

Last edited:

coin_diver

Oct 3, 2003
Syracuse, ny
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, xl500 (27 yrs) XLT (17 yrs)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hi everyone ,first post here.
Trying to help out my father in law, he has a gold cross with emeralds in it he believes came from a Spanish shipwreck or possibly a sunk nazi u boat , I did some research and read about the atocha that Mel fisher discovered and the piece seems to very similar. It does not seem to have any id marks and comes with no paper work but my fil swears he has seen it before in a show talking about treasure linked to some sunken nazi uboat in Florida keys. Any ways was hoping somebody could shed some light/info or at least point us in the right direction. Thank you
It’s a period piece,k hand crafted and if you’ll note the emerald facets are cut by hand. Emeralds appear to be Mizo. Better get it to an appraiser who knows these pieces. Contact Taffey at Mel’s museum.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread