Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time in this sub forum I think this would be the place to post this, I got a book that was written in 1933 it’s a collection of stories from the original pioneers of Kansas, in one chapter a man mentions a whole alternate history that I had never heard before. I’m curious if anyone knows anything about this.
F383E2DD-C799-48FD-9BE9-296F6C261079.jpeg

EE3CA46D-569C-4DC1-A54C-4251F024AD44.jpeg

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time in this sub forum I think this would be the place to post this, I got a book that was written in 1933 it’s a collection of stories from the original pioneers of Kansas, in one chapter a man mentions a whole alternate history that I had never heard before. I’m curious if anyone knows anything about this. View attachment 2001914
View attachment 2001915
More please

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Spanish, from what I've read, were active in a small scale, on and off, disorganized, and brutal fashion, searching for gold and silver, and attempting to convert the natives, during the time period shown above. From the Mississippi to the west coast, they had various exploratory, and settlement schemes, most were temporary and unsuccessful. At the same time, they were struggling to maintain a presence along the gulf coast, in the Caribbean, Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.

They hit the jackpot in Mesoamerica.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s all he mentions as far as Spanish are concerned, if you’re asking about which book it’s pioneer history of Kansas by Adolph roenigk.

All I had ever read as far as a Spanish presence was the Coronado expedition which passed more around Wichita, I know they’ve recovered some chain mail that way, but I didn’t know they were up in kc, and had enough of a presence to build a fort. I’d also never heard of Coronado's motivation being anything other than looking for a city of gold, it is curious that the Indians told them about quivira, that this person calls these lost Spaniards quivirans and that there is a quivira road in kc, I lived just off of it growing up…

my Spanish colonial knowledge is pretty fragmented though because I didn’t think they had much impact in Kansas. I’m far more familiar with the French presence in the area. Maybe I’ll have to dig deeper but first I got to finish my book which is slow going because I’m taking notes as I go… takes about 10-15 minutes a page haha

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First time in this sub forum I think this would be the place to post this, I got a book that was written in 1933 it’s a collection of stories from the original pioneers of Kansas, in one chapter a man mentions a whole alternate history that I had never heard before. I’m curious if anyone knows anything about this. View attachment 2001914
View attachment 2001915
I believe the spanish as well as the french had big presence around atchison kansas. As mentioned quivera with Coronado. It's also been mentioned about Coronado loosing a chest of gold around the neosho river. In this book "four centuries in kansas" i believe the original book was copy righted in 1895, this book is copy righted 1933. It mentions the caves, it's also got maps & artifacts found of the spanish in kansas.

Attachments

• 20220626_204448.jpg
    20220626_204448.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just happened to have a copy of that book, I hadn’t got around to reading it yet, but i just read the little bit about Coronado at the beginning. I didn’t see the part about the chest in the neosho but it could be somewhere else in the book… that part caught my attention since I’ve spent a lot of time on the neosho.

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just happened to have a copy of that book, I hadn’t got around to reading it yet, but i just read the little bit about Coronado at the beginning. I didn’t see the part about the chest in the neosho but it could be somewhere else in the book… that part caught my attention since I’ve spent a lot of time on the neosho.
Yes that is a great book for kansas. May I ask where you found your book of "four centuries in kansas"? Its got alot of great info in it.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of two places there was a library sale a while back and I snatched up a bunch of history books… but I don’t see a library stamp, just a name I don’t recognize, or I got it when several members of my family were downsizing a few years ago and I rescued/inherited books anywhere from the late 1800’s to the 1940’s or so… it’s got 3 copyright dates the latest being 1944 so it’s a reprint like you mentioned

KSDirtfisher77

Jun 26, 2022
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3I
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of two places there was a library sale a while back and I snatched up a bunch of history books… but I don’t see a library stamp, just a name I don’t recognize, or I got it when several members of my family were downsizing a few years ago and I rescued/inherited books anywhere from the late 1800’s to the 1940’s or so… it’s got 3 copyright dates the latest being 1944 so it’s a reprint like you mentioned
Thanks, I had to pull teeth to get mine from a retiring school teacher. She was gracious thou & ended up giving it to me. I've read the book many years ago, & will have to read again. Thanks for the great info.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread