Spanish Missions

JohnWhite

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites gmt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add something to my previous post and to the worthy clues . The hieroglyph marker is exactly half way in a straight line from the San Roman water to the Virgen de Guadalupe mina .

I think that I have let enough kittens out of the bag for today...The last little kitten is...The image carved into the large black rock is depicted in the PSM's...hehehe...I'll not let ya'll know exactly which image it is though...Good luck with ya'lls quests...

Ed T

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that I have let enough kittens out of the bag for today...The last little kitten is...The image carved into the large black rock is depicted in the PSM's...hehehe...I'll not let ya'll know exactly which image it is though...Good luck with ya'lls quests...

Ed T

John , i believe you have confused the stories . What is marked on the black rock at Tumacacori is well known from the attached map to the document text .

Last edited:

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All of these articles and many more are available from the archives of the Desert Magazine. The entire archive is available on CD and easy to find on line. Many of the issues are available on line also for free.
A good resource for the time line when some of these Stories were first printed. Several stories are cited as reprints from Mitchell's original books as well as others. A lot of Baja and Southern California treasure stories
in Desert magazine issues from 1930's through 1980's.

Dirt

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Dirt,

Wayne T. of the Legends Team posted about the online availability of Desert Mag years ago...one of the things that's changed since then is it's gotten easier to download them. I believe that Desert Mag is the single best source for people who don't have all the old books...there are almost 600 issues, which can present a problem in trying to find a specific article...My advice is to buy them on CD, as it's very reasonable...but each issue can be downloaded one at a time as well...

One thing I've done (not even close to being finished with all the issues yet) is to create PDF's for each article, from Desert Mag and all the old treasure mags I have scanned in at this point, and cross-reference them in a searchable database...so it's easy for me to search that partial database and find at least some of the articles germane to things being discussed, and post them for everybody.

One last thing...I've done copyright searches, and there is a current copyright holder to all 500+ Desert Mag issues...it doesn't appear to be the same gentleman that's selling the CD's and allowing the downloads for free...I have no idea what their arrangement is, if any...when I started this process, I was under the impression that there was a current copyright, but was considered "orphaned"...now I have no idea what the status is...for what it's worth...take care, Jim

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
A very interesting article by Fr. Polzer...the sheer number of simple truths in this article are amazing...however, I believe that in the end, the outright denial of any hidden wealth on Fr. Polzer's part doesn't quite line up...in other words, I'm a little surprised by his conclusions given there seems to be at least some evidence for the possibility of hidden treasure, given the events taking place in those days...

View attachment 1646765

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe very little of anything Polzer wrote. The first missions in the west were founded by the Jesuits. The archivists in the diocese were also Jesuits and when they found themselves facing suppresion by their good buddy Charles, they destroyed many of the mission records. They erased the proof of their massive ownership of many properties while hiding tons of gold and silver church treasures in or around the mine shafts of these properties. Polzer and others were on the trail of these buried treasures. They refound many but...not all. People in Mexico are hot on it these days. I know of a few guys down there that are killing it. You won't catch me dead down there even though that's where the real fun is. So tell me, just how easy would it be for the Jesuits to refind The Lost Church Treasure of Santa Fe? Very easy. Thanks to whomever found the maps, and one massive screw up by them, you won't even find the empty hole. When Polzer examined them for "authenticity," he took the pictures he had taken of them and the rest is just church *history. Next, we see he tried to lay claim to a certain Jesuit treasure in Mexico. They didn't even let him leave with his underwear!

*Hidden history because you ain't in the club.

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe very little of anything Polzer wrote. The first missions in the west were founded by the Jesuits. <SNIP>.

The Franciscans may take umbrage with that statement:laughing7:...but I know what you're getting at...pretty much agree with everything else...take care, Jim

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Franciscans may take umbrage with that statement:laughing7:...but I know what you're getting at...pretty much agree with everything else...take care, Jim

Yes, and I see what you are saying but, for my intrests, the Jesuit missions are all I really look at. The franciscans were just too passive to be interesting to me. I like my Priest a little on the mercenary side. You never know what you might find out.

mer·ce·nar·y
/ˈmərsəˌnerē/Submit
adjectiveDEROGATORY
(of a person or their behavior) primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.
"she's nothing but a mercenary little gold digger"
synonyms: money-oriented, grasping, greedy, acquisitive, avaricious, covetous, bribable, venal, materialistic; informalmoney-grubbing
"mercenary self-interest"
noun
noun: mercenary; plural noun: mercenaries
a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.
synonyms: soldier of fortune, professional soldier, hired soldier, gunman; More

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, and I see what you are saying but, for my intrests, the Jesuit missions are all I really look at. The franciscans were just too passive to be interesting to me. I like my Priest a little on the mercenary side. You never know what you might find out.

mer·ce·nar·y
/ˈmərsəˌnerē/Submit
adjectiveDEROGATORY
(of a person or their behavior) primarily concerned with making money at the expense of ethics.
"she's nothing but a mercenary little gold digger"
synonyms: money-oriented, grasping, greedy, acquisitive, avaricious, covetous, bribable, venal, materialistic; informalmoney-grubbing
"mercenary self-interest"
noun
noun: mercenary; plural noun: mercenaries
a professional soldier hired to serve in a foreign army.
synonyms: soldier of fortune, professional soldier, hired soldier, gunman; More

Personally, I like my priests on the "mind your own dang business" side...leave the ministering to them, and leave the governing and soldiering to the secular powers where it belongs...the Jesuits, despite centuries of hard-taught lessons, have never learned and have ever been ones to undermine every power but their own...even though the U.S. was one of the few countries that never expelled them, they nevertheless try to undermine U.S. sovereignty of its own borders and laws almost daily...this is not a political view, but is reality...

Having next to no knowledge of Fr. Polzer's "behind the scenes" attempts to re-secure Jesuit treasures, could you point me in the right direction to learn more about the event you described: "Next, we see he tried to lay claim to a certain Jesuit treasure in Mexico. They didn't even let him leave with his underwear!" Thanks, Jim

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, I like my priests on the "mind your own dang business" side...leave the ministering to them, and leave the governing and soldiering to the secular powers where it belongs...the Jesuits, despite centuries of hard-taught lessons, have never learned and have ever been ones to undermine every power but their own...even though the U.S. was one of the few countries that never expelled them, they nevertheless try to undermine U.S. sovereignty of its own borders and laws almost daily...this is not a political view, but is reality...

Having next to no knowledge of Fr. Polzer's "behind the scenes" attempts to re-secure Jesuit treasures, could you point me in the right direction to learn more about the event you described: "Next, we see he tried to lay claim to a certain Jesuit treasure in Mexico. They didn't even let him leave with his underwear!" Thanks, Jim

Really? I thought that was common knowledge among Jesuit Hunters. There is an old letter written by Polzer in which he refurs to them keeping his stuff when he went to Mexico to claim a Jesuit Treasure, and it is also mentioned in an old book, the author's name escapes me now. I will do some digging through my piles of research.
Lost Jesuit mines and lost Spanish mines are two completely different things indeed. By their nature, Spanish mines are eaiser to find, if they followed the Kings orders as far as monumenting the trail. The Jesuits used a much more esoteric method. Simply by the fact that Polzer went down to Mexico to reclaim the mine, after the Mexicans had found it, gives hope of more and there are. 30 years ago, when I was still firm, while out there following the trail, I began to realize that we were dealing with different entities that were involved in the subterfuge. It took me a long time to learn how to differentiate between the two. I considered the different options but in the end, there are only two different fingerprints.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Really? I thought that was common knowledge among Jesuit Hunters. There is an old letter written by Polzer in which he refurs to them keeping his stuff when he went to Mexico to claim a Jesuit Treasure, and it is also mentioned in an old book, the author's name escapes me now. I will do some digging through my piles of research.
Lost Jesuit mines and lost Spanish mines are two completely different things indeed. By their nature, Spanish mines are eaiser to find, if they followed the Kings orders as far as monumenting the trail. The Jesuits used a much more esoteric method. Simply by the fact that Polzer went down to Mexico to reclaim the mine, after the Mexicans had found it, gives hope of more and there are. 30 years ago, when I was still firm, while out there following the trail, I began to realize that we were dealing with different entities that were involved in the subterfuge. It took me a long time to learn how to differentiate between the two. I considered the different options but in the end, there are only two different fingerprints.

It probably is common knowledge, but I'm not a treasure hunter and really know next to nothing about it...I do a little rockhounding and some gold placering, sometimes a little metal detecting, but mostly my interests are the stories, and exploring old mines...

Yes, if you can find a reference for what Polzer was doing down in Mexico, which treasure he was trying to get, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Jim

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It probably is common knowledge, but I'm not a treasure hunter and really know next to nothing about it...I do a little rockhounding and some gold placering, sometimes a little metal detecting, but mostly my interests are the stories, and exploring old mines...

Yes, if you can find a reference for what Polzer was doing down in Mexico, which treasure he was trying to get, I would appreciate it. Thanks, Jim

Check your private message Jim.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love reafing this stuff moooore please

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owe you a GE image of the old Tumacacori mission site .

old Tumacacori mission site.jpg

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey! Wait a minute! That's the field behind my house!

Are you living at Tumacacori ? I can post the coords , but I don't want someone with a bulldozer to dig the place .

Last edited:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you living at Tumacacori ? I can post the coords , but I don't want someone with a bulldozer to dig the place .

Hey Markmar, please post the coords for what you think is the original Tumacacori Mission. I know exactly where the actual site is. Been there several times. Just because there are some old rock walls doesn't make it the old mission site. There are a ton of OLD rock corrals and adobes down there. A buddy of mine has lived there for the last twenty or so years.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread