SPANISH TREASURE SYMBOLS....IN GEORGIA!!

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One possibility is that some of the "Spanish" locations were developed later by the Indians after seeing how much the Spaniards wanted it..we all know Dahlonega is one of the richest areas in Georgia, I can even tell you there are two veins that go right under the lake just out of town...they are really good and about a mile long the Consolidated is the terminus of one of them. The old mine was probably one of those Indian mines...not sure how they found it...but the consolidated just needed to keep going a little deeper to hit one of them!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cherokee say they had 7 rich vein mines in the Dahlonega area that they were working before the Removal. They hid the entrances by filling them in, removed and leveled rubble and tailings, and then planted wild plants around the area that they knew would grow quickly and hide any evidence of the mines. When the new land owners arrived they searched for the Cherokee mines they had heard of from whites that had dealings with the Cherokee, traders, and whites who had married into the tribe. They were aware of the gold that the Cherokee used to trade for goods they themselves could not produce, iron cookware, steel tools, guns, gunpowder, lead, bullet molds, horseshoes, plows, and other such items. 2 of the 7 mines were found by the newcomers, but 5 are said to still be hidden. I know of no written documents to back this up but it is part of the verbal history that has passed down through the generations, and being of Cherokee descent myself, it is one of the many stories that I have heard about the gold bearing regions of Appalachia.

reptwar1

Jan 24, 2013
Russelville Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if any of you have ever heard about Spanish treasures being hidden in Georgia. It seems that all the talk is out west via Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, and Utah, with the occasional Arkansas. But I have found a MASSIVE turtle, boulders placed on top of others, either a horned owl or a cougar/mountain lion, a cross carved in to stone, possible faces (I try not to give too much credit to faces because your brain sees them in everything), and even a "ghost" behind a waterfall. Sure, we could say that it's native American, but what makes me doubt that is the fact that this piece of property became the governments. If there is one trend I have noticed, it's that anywhere that there is a possible treasure, that land becomes property of the U.S Gov. They are nothing like the indian hieroglyphs (right in the near vicinity). I'm talking about MASSIVE boulders placed on top of others, almost perfrectly square cut edges on stones, etc.

Now, most literature written about De Soto says that he originally landed in FL, heard tales of gold up in Georgia's gold belt, went to investigate, was unsuccessful, and headed west. I don't believe this to be true at all.

I think he originally landed on Georgia's coast, was successful, and enslaved the Indians and mined Georgia and Alabama. The spot where these carvings and sculptures are located is in very close proximity to Georgia's gold belt.

On a side note, I think between the Indians hiding their gold from the Spanish and the U.S prior to the trail of tears, there should be a good amount stashed somewhere....but nobody really talks about treasure in Georgia. Sure, there is some mention of it, but most treasure legends involving Georgia are typically involving Caches from plantation owners and lost confederate gold. Another proof about the treasure lands being purchased by the U.S gov, I would like to point out at the entire Georgia Gold belt is the Chattahoochee NTL Forest, and the entire Alabama gold belt is the Talledaga NTL Forest. This trend continues through N and S Carolina, the Virginia's, Etc. So, the land was seized either because of the gold not yet mined, or it was seized because of evidence leaning towards lost mines, caves, and caverns FILLED with Gold and they are either searching for it, or protecting it. This can be said all through out America. Got a good treasure legend you've been keeping an eye on? Look at the area it is in and see if it is federally owned land that doesn't allow the use of metal detectors, dredges, sluices, etc. Look at Victoria Peak in White Sands for crying out loud. That's how I know that that treasure legend is credible!

You hit the nail on the head! And I'm glad to hear someone else that shares my belief. 95% of the treasure legends, that involve Spaniards or large confederate hoards, are on fed land here in Arkansas. And the feds aren't going to go to those measures unless they believe that the legends are credible. Also, it has always been my belief that the Spaniards mined in Georgia. I think you're on the right track!

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
During the 1930's Depression the Feds started a program that paid selected intellectuals and highly educated people who were out of work to write the history of each county in the US, and that is also about the same time that the land buying spree by the Feds began.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when the Spanish was searching for gold. The French supposedly had a rich gold mine named Appalachia. It was supposed to be in what was Florida. It was never found by the Spanish. So somewhere between Florida and Ga. The mine may still be there.

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived in Ga. There are stones that differently are a part of the treasure system.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty still there..I took some students down there a few years ago and the people that leased land for a prospecting club were finding an ounce or two a day - using hoka, small sluice, heated dive suit. even did it under the ice at times.

Goldspeed

Oct 13, 2016
Carolinas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could be wrong. But from most evidence I've read De Soto went through South Carolina in search of gold. What he did find was Cofitachequi. While no gold was found , he did find fresh water pearls and quart crystals. He also found evidence of a previous Spanish expedition. Here again that's just what I've read and could be way off topic. I apologize if so.

Holyground

May 17, 2014
Not in the can
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT GOLD, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to find treasure, head for the nearest Wilderness or National Forest. The D.C. Mafia may have found it first though.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how many sites I have ran down only to find its on goberment land. Something mysterious about that..do you think some of those satellites have element detectors in them? I know the technology is there as I have one that of course is shorter range, and let me tell you 98% of those treasure stories you read about are just not true. Using this technology I have found Indian gold in Georgia, so keep looking.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you live in Dahlonega? I am in Columbus and like to come up north and go prospecting from time to time. It would be nice to meet up with somebody like-minded, and maybe have the possibility of having access to properties that the owners might be curious about and wouldn't mind us checking out. I have gold detectors and regular metal detectors, a bunch of panning materials, the flowpan, and the ability to work all day and break my back for Georgia's tiny gold in Hope's that the next pan will be better haha. I've gotten pretty good at finding good spots in creeks and rivers and streams. The issue is the lack of public property in GA. (and the whole east coast lol). But I'm good at finding old maps, newspapers, etc. I'm military, so land navigation is not an issue, and I can take those old maps (that show homesteads far away from the right spot) and find the EXACT spot on the ground where the old sites actually were. Send me a message if you're interested. I would love to chat.

Very good story btw. I would love to hear more. I just spent a month in Dahlonega not too long ago. Did a bunch of panning and detecting.

OP
OP
J

Just_curious

Aug 27, 2017
Georgia/Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab GM1000
White's GMZ
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when the Spanish was searching for gold. The French supposedly had a rich gold mine named Appalachia. It was supposed to be in what was Florida. It was never found by the Spanish. So somewhere between Florida and Ga. The mine may still be there.

I think you are confusing this. Desoto questioned an Indian wearing gold and asked where it came from. The Indian said in a place called appalachia to the north. Desoto headed north, but confused Appalachia with Appalachicola in north florida, thus not finding any gold. Coincidently, that is now gobment land..I wonder why...??? Anyways, Desoto met another Indian wearing gold and asked where it came from. The Indian described how they took it out of the ground and rocks and melted it down. Desoto wrote about this in his journal and said something along the lines of "the only way he could have known that is of the devil told him, or if they were actually doing it." In addition to that, the Indian said in the mountains to the North in appalachia in a rich province called Yupaha, led by a woman... this is where scholars say that Desoto was unsuccessful in finding the rich province. I'm saying that I think that he indeed found it, and that possibly these Spanish symbols are possibly at Yupaha.

Lingerfelt

Greenie
Jun 27, 2014
North Georgia Mtns
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found gold in Alabama on the Ga. Line. . So there is plenty of evidence they were in both states. On some land in Cummings Ga. I found stones of the preist. Look around any creek around the north Ga. Area. I've know others who have stones below Atlanta. We are only taught what they want you to know. There is a big hole in DESOTO'S travel. The so called experts have missed a bunch of information. It's actually written in stone. But it's not easily seen when right in front of you. Once you learn the secrets of the preist you can see where they really were. Yes they used the help of the natives. Some as volunteers and others as slaves.

cyzak

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2018
Mountains of Western Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett, General Mathematics, Geometry,Pentax,,Do the math it's there.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found gold in Alabama on the Ga. Line. . So there is plenty of evidence they were in both states. On some land in Cummings Ga. I found stones of the preist. Look around any creek around the north Ga. Area. I've know others who have stones below Atlanta. We are only taught what they want you to know. There is a big hole in DESOTO'S travel. The so called experts have missed a bunch of information. It's actually written in stone. But it's not easily seen when right in front of you. Once you learn the secrets of the preist you can see where they really were. Yes they used the help of the natives. Some as volunteers and others as slaves.

If a person was to come along looking how would he identify such stones by a priest.

Lingerfelt

Greenie
Jun 27, 2014
North Georgia Mtns
Primary Interest:
Other
20E435C5-5111-4D14-82C7-62BD66C97246.jpeg 08DF26A9-9FB3-42D5-99D0-8C5D4E1D1849.jpeg 0E5D262A-8A92-4D72-983B-DB9F3DB9D34B.jpeg

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a person was to come along looking how would he identify such stones by a priest.
I look for the hat of the preist. It has 3 points like a crown. Found a lot of times on the head of an animal. But I don't limit just the hat. Their work in stone are some of the best. What you see on here is the big monument type. The best work is done on a small scale .

Dec 13, 2015
Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are confusing this. Desoto questioned an Indian wearing gold and asked where it came from. The Indian said in a place called appalachia to the north. Desoto headed north, but confused Appalachia with Appalachicola in north florida, thus not finding any gold. Coincidently, that is now gobment land..I wonder why...??? Anyways, Desoto met another Indian wearing gold and asked where it came from. The Indian described how they took it out of the ground and rocks and melted it down. Desoto wrote about this in his journal and said something along the lines of "the only way he could have known that is of the devil told him, or if they were actually doing it." In addition to that, the Indian said in the mountains to the North in appalachia in a rich province called Yupaha, led by a woman... this is where scholars say that Desoto was unsuccessful in finding the rich province. I'm saying that I think that he indeed found it, and that possibly these Spanish symbols are possibly at Yupaha.

I would love to read a first hand account written by DeSoto himself. All I have ever been dig up are the accounts written by others such as Rodrigo Ranjel. With respect, If you have a link to that info kindly send it my way!

AmericanGeode

Nov 23, 2020
Cleveland, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I look for the hat of the preist. It has 3 points like a crown. Found a lot of times on the head of an animal. But I don't limit just the hat. Their work in stone are some of the best. What you see on here is the big monument type. The best work is done on a small scale .

Hello,
I am in North Georgia. Would you please clarify for me, are you examining the outcrop stones for these symbols? Are they carved on to the stones? I gold pan, metal detect along a creek in N. Georgia, and the creek has some outcrop stones that I took as natural outcrops from the mountain. Grateful for any insight. Thank you.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DeSota Falls, Alabama is not named after the car.
He also came through TN, near Maryville, TN , also Rockford,TN. found a Spanish coin near a creek in a corn field. The story behind the coin is; I took some pics of a hand carved wheel stone, with 3 pointers on top of it; 3 oclock, 6 oclock and 9 oclock. The stone was shown to me by a cousin who died last year at 92 years old. His grand-father showed him the stone when my cousin was about 6 years old.
I took the picks of the 3 1/2 foot by 6 inch stone to a friend who is on the Council for the Cherokee Of NC>He said ***** there are some things the Cherokee do not tell the White man. I showed him the coin and he tried to take it from my hand, I turned it over, and he said,"right year, where did you get it." I said, *******, there are some things the White man does not tell the Cherokee." He walked off through a curtain and we haven't spoken since.
The stone is on the side of a mountain , above a creek that has a large Cherokee mound beside the creek, near Chattanooga,TN. Other gold tales exist in the area as told to me by relatives, or kin as I like to call 'em. As a Cherokee walking through one day in 1930 said, "Mr *******, if you knew what I knew, you could shoe your horses in gold." The second time through in 1933 he just stopped and talked, drank some water and went up toward the "falls", where he went the last time.
PS the Cherokee and my cousins grand-father knew each other,they called each by name. the Indian was from Oklahoma, but had left E TN some years earlier.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread