Speaking another language can help alot

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Nautilus MF, Fisher 1266, Heathkit
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been trying for a long time to get access to a sweet spot near my home where a Confederate belt plate was found a few years ago. I've left notes, knocked on the door (but got no answer), asked neighbors, but never got anywhere. Yesterday I was driving by, and the owner was in the yard. I stopped and walked over to the gentleman, and he did not receive me very warmly. But I noticed he had a strong German accent, so I asked him "Sind sie deutscher?" (Are you German?), which surprised him. We had a conversation in my limited deutsch sprache, and he warmed right up. Once I showed him some pictures of what my German friends have been finding, he got downright excited, and now I have unlimited access to the site! I'm going to hit it very thoroughly this weekend, and I will post any decent finds. Maybe there's even another Confederate belt plate in there, somewhere.

Upvote 8

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As much as I'm pro-English for America, I do agree that being multilingual is a real asset to anybody. It opens your mind to other cultures, and when foreigners do immigrate to America (legally), it definitely helps with communication and forging new relationships. As my late father always said, "You can always learn something from anyone."

As for your situation, well, I'm 99.9% positive you've drastically elevated his comfort level for being in a new place. I'm sure that was the reason for his previous hostility (cue the Iranian shopkeeper in the movie Crash), and you've just shown him that not ALL Americans are ignorant, uneducated, redneck douche bags. Kudos! Is German the only other language you speak? Are you a native speaker/of German heritage, or did you pick it up as a second?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sehr gut. My Dad spoke Dutch/German. It is hard enough to understand some of Americas dialects now days. I hope you find some great relics sounds like you made a new friend as well. I doubt he is as narrow minded to think all Americans are ignorant uneducated redneck douche bags.
God luck with your new site.

OP
OP
Thommy

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I picked up German from relatives. My Mother's Father's family immigrated to America in the 1920's. I can make myself basically understood -like ordering food, asking for directions- in Spanish, Italian, Russian and even Japanese. But I am not really fluent in anything except the Southern American dialect of English.
As much as I'm pro-English for America, I do agree that being multilingual is a real asset to anybody. It opens your mind to other cultures, and when foreigners do immigrate to America (legally), it definitely helps with communication and forging new relationships. As my late father always said, "You can always learn something from anyone."

As for your situation, well, I'm 99.9% positive you've drastically elevated his comfort level for being in a new place. I'm sure that was the reason for his previous hostility (cue the Iranian shopkeeper in the movie Crash), and you've just shown him that not ALL Americans are ignorant, uneducated, redneck douche bags. Kudos! Is German the only other language you speak? Are you a native speaker/of German heritage, or did you pick it up as a second?

OP
OP
Thommy

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am not very far removed from Redneck, and I am a proud Southerner -my G-G-Grandfather rode with Forrest- I consider myself from a "Country" background. As to education, My G-G-Grandfather was a college graduate, and we have remained a well-educated family. My sister was a professor at USC for 28 years, my Brother just retired from the University of Florida, and my Uncle is retired from the National Archives. So there goes the "ignorant" part; I doubt very many Americans (Northern or Southern) have college grads that far back in their geneaology. But you know how it is, some Americans consider a Southern Accent as "ignorant sounding". My accent sure went over well in Germany last summer... I got quite a bit of attention from the frauleins :thumbsup:
Sehr gut. My Dad spoke Dutch/German. It is hard enough to understand some of Americas dialects now days. I hope you find some great relics sounds like you made a new friend as well. I doubt he is as narrow minded to think all Americans are ignorant uneducated redneck douche bags.

OP
OP
Thommy

Thommy

Mar 12, 2012
Northern Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I think the landowner had a run-in with some of the local "Diggers". They could qualify as ignorant rednecks. And TV shows making detectorists look like dipstick yahoos doesn't help, in my opinion. I plan to share some of my finds with the landowner; the guys who found the CS tongue belt plate did not let him know what they found -I told him about that, and assured him I would let him see everything I find.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting post , where I also agree with the English is a must movement for America , I also know that learning a second language increases the amount of the brain being used, improves long term memory and over all increases intelligence .
And as for the southern redneck thing , I hate that misconception that if you are from the south you are a inbred hick and it makes me so mad that any time there is major news in the south that is the first person a news anchor looks for to show on live TV.
Glad to hear you and the land owner made a connection , maybe you can show him how a real Md’er will treat his property.

cti4sw

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2012
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I am not very far removed from Redneck, and I am a proud Southerner -my G-G-Grandfather rode with Forrest- I consider myself from a "Country" background. As to education, My G-G-Grandfather was a college graduate, and we have remained a well-educated family. My sister was a professor at USC for 28 years, my Brother just retired from the University of Florida, and my Uncle is retired from the National Archives. So there goes the "ignorant" part; I doubt very many Americans (Northern or Southern) have college grads that far back in their geneaology. But you know how it is, some Americans consider a Southern Accent as "ignorant sounding". My accent sure went over well in Germany last summer... I got quite a bit of attention from the frauleins :thumbsup:

I was referring to a stereotype, not my personal opinion. I myself lived in Texas for a few years, I admire their sense of morality and they certainly have their priorities straight. If my wife was open to it I would certainly try to move back there. Imho, modern southerners have a better sense of "liberty" and "patriotism" than any other American subculture.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a fellow German speaker, I salute you for broadening your horizons and not being afraid to have a conversation in another language. Probably made that guy's year to hear his native language spoken. It would be the same for you hearing English spoken if you lived in Iceland or Belgium. Good for you. Congrats on the permission!

-Buck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread