121.3 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 8

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A preform, not near finished yet, Keep looking in that field. :icon_thumright:

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! We were up there in Belton a month ago and I was driving by all of the freshly plowed fields, it was killing me not being able to go look.

OP
OP
C

cds7189

Jun 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys I appreciate your comments. With the weight at 221 grams and the size, it had to be thrown (chunked) or jabbed and not shot as an arrow I think. Not sure if it could have been used with an atlatl and would have to rely on you guys. Not experienced enough to identify it to be a preform but I’ll take your word for it.

Attachments

• thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 26

Tdog

Silver Member
May 30, 2019
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've seen enough pieces similar to this one to admit that it could very well be an exhausted core. I just have trouble believing it would get tossed when it's big enough and is perfectly good material to use for a tool or weapon. I have quartz and quartzite pieces very much like this one.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
I've seen enough pieces similar to this one to admit that it could very well be an exhausted core. I just have trouble believing it would get tossed when it's big enough and is perfectly good material to use for a tool or weapon. I have quartz and quartzite pieces very much like this one.
I believe that can depend on the region the artifact is found.

In a lithic poor region this piece may be considered as a yet usable piece of toolstone. However in a lithic rich region a small chunky piece like this is not worth the effort to salvage something out of it when new toolstone is easy to obtain.

OP
OP
C

cds7189

Jun 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for not knowing but what is an exhausted core?

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what I’d do,I’d keep it and go back and look around some more. That’s a good sign,where there’s one there’s more.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a large core, lots of material was still left to work with. A little smaller than a volleyball...

Flint Core.jpg

Crumb

Feb 9, 2020
Mountains of East K.y.
Detector(s) used
Garrett 400 ace
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a large core, lots of material was still left to work with. A little smaller than a volleyball...

View attachment 2025258
I’ve found these too and Ive always wondered did they leave/hide this around their camps or would they tote them with them when they would move on to the next camp?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2025258
In my area, you would never find something like this laying around. All cores I’ve found are micro in size. Think smaller than a walnut. Yet to find a preform but I’m relatively new to this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions