Spherical club head?

jakedai

Nov 27, 2021
I just found this interesting stone in the mountains of Colorado above Fairplay. Looks to my amateur mind like the broken head of an old club. Any thoughts from those with more experience and knowledge? Thanks! Photo shows a standard paint can opener for scale - only thing available at the moment! PXL_20211127_155754815.jpg PXL_20211127_155804528.jpg

Upvote 4
OP
OP
J

jakedai

Nov 27, 2021
I just found this interesting stone in the mountains of Colorado above Fairplay. Looks to my amateur mind like the broken head of an old club. Any thoughts from those with more experience and knowledge? Thanks! Photo shows a standard paint can opener for scale - only thing available at the moment! View attachment 1993322 View attachment 1993323
Not sure if this is relevant, but of course there is a lot of old mining activity in this area, so possibly a mining remnant, but it seems quite different from usual mining objects.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like an Indian artifact, a full grove ax that was broken in half somehow.
.... I think it’s natural... It is broke like a maul will but the groove doesn’t look right, there some over hang.
I like though, and would have packed it home too..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... I think it’s natural... It is broke like a maul will but the groove doesn’t look right, there some over hang.
I like though, and would have packed it home too..
Fat, I think you are correct, I didn't use my mag ap on it the first time I looked, blown-up the groove doesn't look man-made.

Buckleberry

Sep 4, 2010
I agree it's natural. I used to live in both Fairplay and Alma (highest city in the US) 20+ yrs. ago, I miss it dearly, that is some very spiritual country there and I know there was a documented native site not too far from Fairplay, I remember it being a small rocky hill heading out into the High Plains, the sacred hunting ground of the Utes back in the day.

OP
OP
J

jakedai

Nov 27, 2021
Wow, thanks everyone for the quick and thoughtful replies! That makes sense about the weakness in the rock as seen in the break point. I think what caught my eye more than anything was (a) how linear the groove line is right along what seems a likely attachment line, and (b) how that would form normally/naturally. Additionally, it's such a different rock than what is normally found in this area it jumps out even more.

@Buckleberry , glad you spent some time in this area. I'm writing now from our mining claim at about 11,000 feet SSW of Fairplay. Definitely a special place!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
What we are seeing is no difference in patina between the groove and the rest of the rock. Were it pecked there would be a big difference. The groove also does not show any indications of being worked. As for how the natural process works, different forces (time, pressure, heat, erosion), Work on minerals in different ways. In this case it would seem a mineral band was formed (looking at the broken side) as the minerals in the stone precipitated over time. While not impossible the placement of the band is wrong too, it is not centered and would create an unbalanced club.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread