Split-Site East & Saxon Site - Hammered, 2 SAXON SCEATS & SAXON PENNY...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plan worked perfectly. We finish the Roman Site (Split-Site East) in 3 hours, no silvers but 12 Scrappies & a nice lead/pewter 18th C Button with shank.

We then move to a field near an old Abbey, we did this for a couple of years until the owner wanted to charge us £200 per person, per year. We turned them down & now the joke is on them as one of our biggest farmers has brought the whole farm & added it to our permission group. (free of charge):thumbsup:
We have been very short of Saxon finds this year, so we went straight to an area where we had previously found 3 Sceats. We hope to get just 1, as they are near impossible to target. We only gridded for 2.5 hours but boy was that a great afternoon session!
I got the first & second Sceat (circa AD700) in the 2nd hour & as I boasted to Cru'dad about digging my 2nd, he stated ''it's not as good as the Saxon Penny I just dug''. Never have we dug 2 such rare coins at the same time!
We also got 3 Roman Coins.
Cru'dad fished the day with a Hammered Penny of Ed I OTWBTTC!

The Saxon Penny is of the last Mercian King - Burgred AD852-74 (I think the Moneyer EADNOD might be the first to be recorded on the EMC, but I'll wait & see the answer soon) Thought to be related to Beorhtwulf!!! He was the last Mercian King before the Viking Heathen Army took it from him.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 42

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is so sweet.
Great things come to those who wait.
I tip my hat to you 2 on the fabulous hunt.
The Sceats are in amazing condition.
But man oh man that silver takes the show!:occasion14:

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But man oh man that silver takes the show!:occasion14:
Yeap, Saxon Pennies are very fragile & many come out busted, so this one is in great shape!
Plus adds a new King to the collection!

Last edited:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much to say about this day. You guys killed it again. Two Sceats and a Penny.... I've never seen You posted a Saxon Penny. Congrats go to Crudad for this beauty! And to You as well digging the two year amount on Sceats in one day! I go back, looking at these coins some more now.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The plan worked perfectly. We finish the Roman Site (Split-Site East) in 3 hours, no silvers but 12 Scrappies & a nice lead/pewter 18th C Button with shank.

We then move to a field near an old Abbey, we did this for a couple of years until the owner wanted to charge us £200 per person, per year. We turned them down & now the joke is on them as one of our biggest farmers has brought the whole farm & added it to our permission group. (free of charge):thumbsup:
We have been very short of Saxon finds this year, so we went straight to an area where we had previously found 3 Sceats. We hope to get just 1, as they are near impossible to target. We only gridded for 2.5 hours but boy was that a great afternoon session!
I got the first & second Sceat in the 2nd hour & as I boasted to Cru'dad about digging my 2nd, he stated ''it's not as good as the Saxon Penny I just dug''. Never have we dug 2 such rare coins at the same time!

The Saxon Penny is of the last Mercian King - Burgred AD852-74 (I think the Moneyer EADNOD might be the first to be recorded on the EMC, but I'll wait & see the answer soon) Thought to be related to Beorhtwulf!!! He was the last Mercian King before the Viking Heathen Army took it from him.

View attachment 2051140 View attachment 2051141 View attachment 2051142 View attachment 2051143 View attachment 2051144 View attachment 2051146
Like like like like....
Banner?! These are great finds...huge congratulations 👍

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yeap, Saxon Pennies are very fragile & many come out busted, so this one is in great shape!
Plus adds a new King to the collection!
Yes I saw a penny dug some years back, by the next day it was in a few pieces, just kept snapping he was told.

The penny has some greening on it, seen photos of coins that were touching others get this.
Would be cool if there were a few more in the depths of the soil.
It's a real beauty-your Dad must be right chuffed.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a real beauty-your Dad must be right chuffed.
We were both chuffed with this result. I've just booked Friday off work to get straight on it & continue the grid we started. (before drilling happens)

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I got the first & second Sceat in the 2nd hour & as I boasted to Cru'dad about digging my 2nd, he stated ''it's not as good as the Saxon Penny I just dug''. Never have we dug 2 such rare coins at the same time!

View attachment 2051140 View attachment 2051141 View attachment 2051142 View attachment 2051143 View attachment 2051144 View attachment 2051146
Outstanding!!! Congrats!!!!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I got the first & second Sceat (circa AD700) in the 2nd hour & as I boasted to Cru'dad about digging my 2nd, he stated ''it's not as good as the Saxon Penny I just dug''. Never have we dug 2 such rare coins at the same time!

crushing it, tally ho!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story Crusader, and great finds too! I'm happy to hear that the previous owner lost out. The Karma wheel spins...
Yeap, the new owner will get one of the Sceat's for starters.

Dave of WI

Greenie
Dec 14, 2020
Northern Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
GPX 6000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow, great finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread