Spoon Found In A Junk Box - Silver?

gtsatohms

Nov 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this old spoon in a junk box at a thrift store. I think it might be silver. It doesn’t stick to a magnet. Does anyone know how to read these codes or markings? Any idea where it might be from?

Thanks for any help. It was found in Michigan, if that gives any clues.
image-2020-12-29-10:56:26-351.jpg
IMG_3657.jpg
IMG_3656.jpg

Upvote 8

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... I tried to figure out the marks, but it is an endless array of variations. Too bad there isn’t a program that you could upload the picture and it would tell you when it was made and where.

There is... it's called 'TreasureNet'.

Researching.gif

Last edited:

dieselfool

Dec 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that is a great find! Really beautiful.
I, too, thought 'coin silver' meant silver from melted-down worn-smooth coins. 90% silver content.
And from the Brits I have always heard about 'pounds sterling', with the 'sterling' meaning sterling silver. Sterling silver I also assumed meant pure silver.
But I am no expert even though my ancestors emigrated to the States in the 1870s from Liverpool.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, that is a great find! Really beautiful.
I, too, thought 'coin silver' meant silver from melted-down worn-smooth coins. 90% silver content.
And from the Brits I have always heard about 'pounds sterling', with the 'sterling' meaning sterling silver. Sterling silver I also assumed meant pure silver.
But I am no expert even though my ancestors emigrated to the States in the 1870s from Liverpool.

Incorrect... "Sterling" is yes... British... but it refers to the purity... sterling equates to 925 PARTS PER 1000th... AKA 925 parts of whatever it is / has silver content.

"Pure silver"... would be... err by assigned law"... 999 parts or greater.

This applies to ALL metals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread