spoon found on my own farm

detectorbishop

Sep 29, 2021
fife lake, mi
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
digging at home in an area I feel like I've been over and found this about 8 inches deep. nothing real great, but proves there can always be something else when you think the area is all hunted out.
20211009_190935.jpg
20211009_190907.jpg

Upvote 17

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, amazing. I once found a 3" diameter brass bell about 2" down in a place hunted by me and others countless times before that. How we all missed it I have no idea. Never say it's over, I guess1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s a lovely pattern which has gone largely undocumented.

The spoon is by Holmes, Booth & Haydens, founded in Waterbury, CT in 1853. They were a prominent manufacturer of brass and copper goods who, around 1865, began producing flatware. The “Sterling Silver Plate Co.” was one of their divisional sub-brands, used for electroplate (ie “Sterling” is misleading because the flatware was not sterling silver and, in any case electroplating deposits ‘pure’ silver onto base metal, not sterling silver). Flatware production under that name ceased in 1886 when the division was sold to Rogers & Hamilton.

They seem to have produced no more than a handful of patterns, only one of which can be reliably dated (at 1884) since it was also used by C. Rogers & Bros, W.F. Rogers, and the Hartford Silver Plate Co. Other than that, the patterns are unnamed and Davis and Deibel’s “Silver Plated Flatware Patterns" book simply lists your particular pattern as “Sterling Silver Plate Four”.

OP
OP
detectorbishop

detectorbishop

Sep 29, 2021
fife lake, mi
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow red-coat. thank you for that information. That is an amazingly informative. I really thought it was a pretty pattern, but unfortunately the spoon is all bent up. Do you have any idea how old it might be?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow red-coat. thank you for that information. That is an amazingly informative. I really thought it was a pretty pattern, but unfortunately the spoon is all bent up. Do you have any idea how old it might be?

You're welcome. I gave you as much as is reliably known about possible dates... sometime between c.1865-1886. Other than that, the activities of Holmes, Booth & Haydens' Silver Plate flatware division are poorly documented.

OP
OP
detectorbishop

detectorbishop

Sep 29, 2021
fife lake, mi
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ok, just want to be sure I'm reading correctly, this spoon is from the 1800's?

OP
OP
detectorbishop

detectorbishop

Sep 29, 2021
fife lake, mi
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1935 is my earliest find so far, so that will be a big jump for me

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, just want to be sure I'm reading correctly, this spoon is from the 1800's?

Yes. Don't know how to make it any clearer. The company began making flatware (ie cutlery) c.1865 and stopped when the business was sold in 1886.

OP
OP
detectorbishop

detectorbishop

Sep 29, 2021
fife lake, mi
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes. Don't know how to make it any clearer. The company began making flatware (ie cutlery) c.1865 and stopped when the business was sold in 1886.
thank you so much for that, just wanted to be sure before I celebrated. you made it plenty clear, lol

Cuda74

Jan 9, 2021
North Ga
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec II, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The spoon is by Holmes, Booth & Haydens, founded in Waterbury, CT in 1853. They were a prominent manufacturer of brass and copper goods who, around 1865, began producing flatware. The “Sterling Silver Plate Co.” was one of their divisional sub-brands, used for electroplate (ie “Sterling” is misleading because the flatware was not sterling silver and, in any case electroplating deposits ‘pure’ silver onto base metal, not sterling silver). Flatware production under that name ceased in 1886 when the division was sold to Rogers & Hamilton.

They seem to have produced no more than a handful of patterns, only one of which can be reliably dated (at 1884) since it was also used by C. Rogers & Bros, W.F. Rogers, and the Hartford Silver Plate Co. Other than that, the patterns are unnamed and Davis and Deibel’s “Silver Plated Flatware Patterns" book simply lists your particular pattern as “Sterling Silver Plate Four”.

Great reply Red-Coat!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I've owned a lot of HB & H oil lamp parts over the years and even researched their company history, but I never knew they made cutlery. :icon_scratch:

Thank you for sharing this information Red-Coat, now that I've learned something new, I can go back to bed. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread