🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Spoon Hallmarks

Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been looking at the charts to try and find these spoon hallmarks, but I'm having a little trouble. It might be Lion (sterling), crowned lion (London), C (1778, 1798, or 1818), then a bust (either a maker's mark or a duty mark). However, I'm not sure the first mark is a Lion, and I can't tell which kind of C the date mark is. Maybe somebody else can read them better than I can. http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilverhallmarks.html

Attachments

• IMG_20211227_114153.jpg
    IMG_20211227_114153.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20211227_114216.jpg
    IMG_20211227_114216.jpg
    972.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20211227_114227.jpg
    IMG_20211227_114227.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure you can rule out British hallmark. (although they are so rubbed, its tough to tell)

Upvote 2

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The hallmarks are worn, so the first 2 are hard to define.
It could be one from a number of countries.
Standing lion/Griffon for the first mark
Shield for the second mark is anyone's guess.
C for the third mark
Figure facing right for the forth mark

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't find those marks in the series for any British assay office. They're not British silver marks. Our hallmark format and style has been heavily regulated for centuries and the styling doesn't correspond to any of our authorised marks for multiple reasons. What purports to be a date letter is, for example, in a font style that has never seen use here.

Those are 'pseudo-hallmarks' loosely mimicking the real thing. Usually, that means the piece is not silver and the majority of marks like this are from American makers (not exclusively so) trying to give their work a greater desirability to their customers. Many of them remain unattributed.

Upvote 4
OP
OP
EnvoyToTheMolePeople
Oct 1, 2018
Western PA, Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You won't find those marks in the series for any British assay office. They're not British silver marks. Our hallmark format and style has been heavily regulated for centuries and the styling doesn't correspond to any of our authorised marks for multiple reasons. What purports to be a date letter is, for example, in a font style that has never seen use here.

Those are 'pseudo-hallmarks' loosely mimicking the real thing. Usually, that means the piece is not silver and the majority of marks like this are from American makers (not exclusively so) trying to give their work a greater desirability to their customers. Many of them remain unattributed.
Well, that's unfortunate. I suppose it would explain why the marks are so worn if the maker wanted them to be intentionally vague. Is there an approximate age on this? I found it next to a flat button, which should date the site to late 1700s-early 1800s. I thought the silver looked a little odd. It has some small blemishes on the surface, almost like bubbles, but it is not plated as far as I can tell.

Upvote 2

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, that's unfortunate. I suppose it would explain why the marks are so worn if the maker wanted them to be intentionally vague. Is there an approximate age on this? I found it next to a flat button, which should date the site to late 1700s-early 1800s. I thought the silver looked a little odd. It has some small blemishes on the surface, almost like bubbles, but it is not plated as far as I can tell.

The spoon is a 'fiddleback' style, has a 'tipped' terminal on the handle, and also has 'fins' on the shoulders of the bowl. Those three design elements together became popular in America around the 1820s-1830s (around 10-20 years earlier in Britain). The pseudo-duty mark mimics a pre-Victorian version (ie pre-1838). It might be nickel-silver, an alloy of copper, nickel, and zinc containing no silver, which first saw use in the 1830s (and then began to be electro-plated during the 1840s).

I would think 1820s - 1830s would be a good bet, and most likely 1830s.

Last edited:
Upvote 4

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you say that?
I think you now have a full enough explanation why.
I also suspected a pseudo-hallmark although I couldn't assess the metal type easily in the picture & I'm not that knowledgeable on foreign hallmarks, so I didn't throw it out there.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread