Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone! I was out to my favorite fort site yesterday and got a pretty cool signal and pulled up this fiddle style utensil. I put it in my pocket and didn?t really look at again until this morning. I realized that the proximal and distal ends had been cut off. Why. The handle cut reveals a scored line meant for the initial cut. I contacted and old Florida digger friend who told me that he has also dug a couple like this over the years at fort sites. Supposedly one theory was they were cut like that use use as a gun tool for the different size screws on the musket. Any thoughts on this theory or any others would be greatly appreciated. D1E132CE-CD53-4CD1-8712-E7C86A012E9F.jpeg 6BD14026-7A81-45BD-9619-EDFF57C7F8A2.jpeg

Upvote 3

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! I think the tool theory is a good one...I know during Rev War time there was a three-point tool that had different sized driver heads...I suppose they made something like that long after...and if you didn't have one, you had to improvise and make something that wasn't the sharp blade of your knife.

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It sure does look like a flat head screw driver. Awesome find! I'm going to go back and look at my old spoon handle bits now.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone! I was out to my favorite fort site yesterday and got a pretty cool signal and pulled up this fiddle style utensil. I put it in my pocket and didn?t really look at again until this morning. I realized that the proximal and distal ends had been cut off. Why. The handle cut reveals a scored line meant for the initial cut. I contacted and old Florida digger friend who told me that he has also dug a couple like this over the years at fort sites. Supposedly one theory was they were cut like that use use as a gun tool for the different size screws on the musket. Any thoughts on this theory or any others would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 1949214 View attachment 1949215
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

BAW

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is it made of? Would the handle of a plated brass, plated copper, nickel, silver, pewter or whatever spoon really be sturdy enough to use as a screwdriver? It seems more likely that the bowl of the spoon was cut off and used to make a fishing lure and the leftover handle was thrown away. Do a google search for “homemade spoon lure” to see what I mean.

OP
OP
Florida Finder

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What is it made of? Would the handle of a plated brass, plated copper, nickel, silver, pewter or whatever spoon really be sturdy enough to use as a screwdriver? It seems more likely that the bowl of the spoon was cut off and used to make a fishing lure and the leftover handle was thrown away. Do a google search for “homemade spoon lure” to see what I mean.
Yes but the top of the handle was cut as well. Yes the piece is very sturdy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions