Spoon of Mystery....

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slow day, but....I did get a spoon for my spoon collection. Says......"Sons & CC Nickel Silver" Not sure if there is a preceding name before "Sons" if there is I sure can't make it out. It has a little fluke shaped feature on the end of the handle, but it is very faint.

Any hoo....At least I didn't get skunked...... Capturespoon.GIF

IMG_20210906_194304124_2.jpg
IMG_20210906_193844686.jpg

Upvote 14

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is something b4 SONS. Nice spoon though.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spoon is a generic fiddleback, and those generally don’t feature in the pattern books since almost every flatware company made them from about 1820 onwards. ‘Nickel silver’ (which is a copper/nickel/zinc alloy containing no actual silver) didn’t come into usage until the 1830s as unplated metal and then as electroplate in the 1840s.

I think you’ll find it says “XXXXX SONS & CO” and while there could be small and obscure undocumented companies to whom such a mark could be attributed, there’s only one mainstream company as a possibility (assuming the spoon is American): W.H. Glenny, Sons & Co. who used this mark between c1865-1898:

Glenny.jpg

William Glenny was an importer, wholesaler and retailer of glassware, crockery and flatware established in Buffalo NY in 1840, but his sons weren’t added as business partners until c.1865. The company went on to become one of the largest tableware importers in the US and their own mark was applied to goods produced for them. They went out of business in 1898.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tried to rework the image to see if any letters or numbers
could be brought out..

IMG_20210906_193844686-2.jpg

There are definitely letters and/or numbers preceding "Sons",
and as best I can see there are no "X"'s. Last letter appears
to be a T.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried to rework the image to see if any letters or numbers
could be brought out..

View attachment 1946183

There are definitely letters and/or numbers preceding "Sons",
and as best I can see there are no "X"'s. Last letter appears
to be a T.

When I said “XXXXX SONS & CO”, I was just using the Xs to signify an unknown number of indeterminate characters. I wasn't suggesting that any of those characters might actually be an X.

In terms of company marks on flatware, W.H. Glenny, Sons & Co. was the only documented mainstream American business who used a mark ending "... SONS & CO" as far as I am aware. I would be sure it's one of their spoons and - hopefully - that last letter will prove to be a 'Y' not a 'T'.

troll62

May 6, 2022
When I said “XXXXX SONS & CO”, I was just using the Xs to signify an unknown number of indeterminate characters. I wasn't suggesting that any of those characters might actually be an X.

In terms of company marks on flatware, W.H. Glenny, Sons & Co. was the only documented mainstream American business who used a mark ending "... SONS & CO" as far as I am aware. I would be sure it's one of their spoons and - hopefully - that last letter will prove to be a 'Y' not a 'T'.
Slow day, but....I did get a spoon for my spoon collection. Says......"Sons & CC Nickel Silver" Not sure if there is a preceding name before "Sons" if there is I sure can't make it out. It has a little fluke shaped feature on the end of the handle, but it is very faint.

Any hoo....At least I didn't get skunked...... View attachment 1946039

View attachment 1946040
View attachment 1946041
Good Morning, I am new to this site, but saw this when I googled WH Glenny. Do you happen to still have this spoon?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread