Spring 2016 Metal Detecting for Natural Silver

Jim Hemmingway

Jan 26, 2008
Canada
Detector(s) used
F-75, Infinium LS, MXT, GoldBug2, TDI Pro, 1280X Aquanaut, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thankyou for the great videos Placergold, most enjoyable!!! Looks to me that you had a fantastic trip to the area and made some very nice silver finds. I was waiting for you to comment on the largest piece during your evaluation but somehow it was overlooked. Congratulations, very well done. :thumbsup:

Jim.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thankyou for the great videos Placergold, most enjoyable!!! Looks to me that you had a fantastic trip to the area and made some very nice silver finds. I was waiting for you to comment on the largest piece during your evaluation but somehow it was overlooked. Congratulations, very well done. :thumbsup:

Jim.

Thanks Jim. It was so cold at night, that my dog Daisy discovered a new place to sleep - the bottom of my sleeping bag. That is a new one, as before she only crawled under the bag by my knees when cold. LOL

The large piece on the table was one of Sheldon's discards. I took it home because it had one obvious hair-thin silver vein. It is probably worth more inspection, but in the end is probably a marginal piece.

I plan on getting back out for a short trip on the next long weekend. The areas I had planned on going last trip had 2-3' of snow still on the unmaintained road. The nice thing was - no bugs. I bet that will change in a hurry. Bugs are not so bad for me because I can wear a jacket or spray but might be a bit annoying for Daisy...

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Very cool, thanks for sharing. Nice silver!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IanSF...when are you going back? I am targeting the long weekend at end of June.
Last time, bugs were bad and drove my dog nuts. Took her eyes and belly a few days to recover. She is ready to go again.

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Damn those are awesome nuggets!

I wish we had silver like that around here. :D

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On my last trip, I hardly found anything large, but got quite a few small pieces and decided to play with some of them. Here is the video:

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FYI - when I was up there in the spring, Brady Lake had new "no trespassing" signs. They have popped up at a few of the sites.

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
I heard that signs are starting to go up at several sites. Just gives me an excuse to do some exploring at some of the others. There is still plenty of silver to be found. Thanks for the heads up on Brady Lake.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck on your trip. I forget which other ones are also signed, but recall the Beaver T. is another. I suspect the ones with new signs are all the same company. You are right, there are other places to explore.

OP
OP
M

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strange, but I guess nails are easy to pull out. I bet is was hot on your trip. I have been waiting for the weather to cool and might actually give it a go this labor day weekend

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread