Spring Bean Fields - Very Nice Big HAMMERED...

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange weather - On Monday I was in a T-Shirt & my mate got sun burnt whilst fishing & by Wednesday it snowing & today I had to layer up again & it hailed toward the end of the hunt!

As the Spring Beans will start to show soon we moved off our Spring Wheat field (that we are allowed on after it shows & until a couple of inches high) to a bunch of fields that we haven't done very well on but I just wanted to put to bed an idea I had. It wanted to try a far area that looked like a small bay or annex to the main field. Just kind of odd. It turned up nothing, so we started a large area grid where we had found a couple of bits in the past. At one point I left Cru'dad to grid whilst I scouted 5 other large fields (looking for sites) - nothing. Came back to join Cru'dad on the last run before lunch (close to 3 hours) & got the nice hammered. Saved a difficult day, as we tried a 7th field with no luck.
6 hours total:

1/2 a RAF Cap Badge
1797 Penny
1669 Token (Octagonal)
Roman Bracelet bit
Roman Mystery bit
2 Scrappies
1560-61 Elizabeth I Groat - Only had 2, one with this mint mark but this is by far the best example. Amazing how some miss the plough & were dropped straight from the Mint, but it was pretty heavy clay helping out.

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 33

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For us who do not know any better, can you tell us how big she is in cm or put a US cent next to it. Very nice early dropped hammered!!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For us who do not know any better, can you tell us how big she is in cm or put a US cent next to it. Very nice early dropped hammered!!!
Of course it's circa 25mm.
When I say big, its bigger than most we find but not as big as the Sixpence or Shillings etc..
It was her 2nd Issue of coinage (so early) this Groat (4 pence) wasn't far off her 6 Pence's by the end of her reign.

DSC08927.JPG

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Simply amazing dude. With coinage that old and hammered, is the double strike a thing that matters? Swear I see the outline of a face behind the top one.

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Simply amazing dude. With coinage that old and hammered, is the double strike a thing that matters? Swear I see the outline of a face behind the top one.
Not so clear in the picture but it is a small plough kiss. Small scuff, which I'm more than happy to live with....

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NICE!! Would make my heart skip a few beats for sure to find something like that!!! Congrats on keeping on the hunt!!

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome stuff, great coin , like the other stuff too

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A full Groat not even bent.... Congrats! One find can save the day!
You had near the same weather like we have... We still managed couple hours this afternoon in sunny but cold weather with no strong wind....

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strange weather - On Monday I was in a T-Shirt & my mate got sun burnt whilst fishing & by Wednesday it snowing & today I had to layer up again & it hailed toward the end of the hunt!

As the Spring Beans will start to show soon we moved off our Spring Wheat field (that we are allowed on after it shows & until a couple of inches high) to a bunch of fields that we haven't done very well on but I just wanted to put to bed an idea I had. It wanted to try a far area that looked like a small bay or annex to the main field. Just kind of odd. It turned up nothing, so we started a large area grid where we had found a couple of bits in the past. At one point I left Cru'dad to grid whilst I scouted 5 other large fields (looking for sites) - nothing. Came back to join Cru'dad on the last run before lunch (close to 3 hours) & got the nice hammered. Saved a difficult day, as we tried a 7th field with no luck.
6 hours total:

1/2 a RAF Cap Badge
1797 Penny
1669 Token (Octagonal)
Roman Bracelet bit
Roman Mystery bit
2 Scrappies
1560-61 Elizabeth I Groat - Only had 2, one with this mint mark but this is by far the best example. Amazing how some miss the plough & were dropped straight from the Mint, but it was pretty heavy clay helping out.

View attachment 2018931 View attachment 2018932 View attachment 2018933 View attachment 2018934 View attachment 2018935
Awesome!!!! Congrats!!!!

OP
OP
CRUSADER

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A full Groat not even bent.... Congrats! One find can save the day!
You had near the same weather like we have... We still managed couple hours this afternoon in sunny but cold weather with no strong wind....
The wind when the cloud came with it made it feel colder, but otherwise not that bad.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well done on the crisp Lizzie, a really beauty.

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful 1500's Silver - congrats !

We had the exact same crazy weather here last week - T-Shirt one day - snow the next !

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
excellent coin! I really enjoy seeing your finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread