SS Clara Nevada Shipwreck - anyone looking for the treasure?

tfindergal

Aug 4, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Should be easy to find by triangulating all the eyewitness accounts from shore. I'm not aware of any salvage.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite a lot of information at the link below:

https://www.maritimeheritage.org/ships/SS-Clara-Nevada.html

On 19th February 1898 it was reported that “part of the wreck of the Clara Nevada is now at Juneau, and arrangements have been made so that if any bodies are recovered they will be sent to Juneau from Seward City.” The exact location of the main portion of the wreck was unknown until 12th March 1908 when it was reported to be visible off Aldridge Rock, having been exposed by strong winds.

Note that some contemporary accounts suggest she suffered an explosion as a result of botched boiler repairs and a subsequent fire. She was also reported as carrying “a deck load of lumber” and “a large amount of dynamite for the Treadwell mine at Douglas Island”.

With regard to valuables, she was “believed to have had a large amount of gold dust on board, as several Klondikers were on the way out [of Skagway] with their first clean-ups.” I wonder how much of that survived in recoverable form if she did explode in flames.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There were no survivors and the vessel's remains were not found until 11 years after the incident.
If you want big target in the area, research the Princess Sophia, the largest loss of life on the West Coast--in the same vicinity.
Don....

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From an article on the pioneersofalaskajuneau.org website:

"On the evening of March 12, 1908 a little more than 10 years after the sinking of the Clara Nevada, a violent gale struck Eldred Rock. When the assistant lighthouse keeper Scottie Currie ventured out of the light house the next morning he saw a ship stranded on the northern end of the island. The storm had brought the Clara Nevada up from her watery grave. Currie didn’t have much time to examine the vessel for the storm picked her up again that evening and returned her to the bottom of Lynn Canal."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread