jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The SS Yankee Blade was a three-masted side-wheel steamship belonging to the Independent Line (a holding of Cornelius Vanderbilt). The Yankee Blade was built in 1854 to transport gold, passengers, and cargo between Panama and San Francisco, California, during the California Gold Rush.The ship wrecked in fog off of Point Arguello in Southern California on October 1, 1854. The shipwreck cost an estimated 30 to 40 lives

The New York herald. (New York [N.Y.]), 15 Nov. 1854.
000aaa.jpg
000bbb.jpg
000ccc.jpg
000ddd.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Yankee_Blade

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
No surprise that every gold coin wasn't recovered in the mid-1850's.

"As to what happened to the gold coins aboard, some were seemingly recovered soon after the disaster, in circumstances shrouded in mystery. Perhaps other coins were found later, over a long period of time. In any event, in 1948 the hull was found again, and afterwards various divers visited the wreck. In 1977, extensive high tech recoveries were made, when an estimated 250, 1854-S double eagles came on the market."

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/info-vault/Sunken-Treasures.html

Meanwhile - Murder Aboard the Yankee Blade!

Ship Passengers and Sea Captains. San Francisco 1846-1890.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:

Klems

Jul 12, 2012
San Diego, CA
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This book has all the references including two maps of the wreck location: Agony and Death on a Gold Rush Steamer: Sinking of the Side-Wheeler Yankee Blade

The location is on the rocks off Vandenberg AFB and there aren't any launch ramps for boats for miles, so good luck if you decide to look. I have no intention of tangling with the Air Force and those rocks are pretty dangerous that close to shore.

Steve Lawson

Greenie
Nov 14, 2008
The area has been closed off for miles shortly after 9/11, given the number of launches taking place there off Vandenberg AFB. No non AF boats had dived there and transiting the area is prohibited. Plus, hazardous seas are the norm. I tried to get permission from the Base Commander and tried to get in with members of the dive club Aqualiers, both were unsuccessful.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love these stories. With all these ship wrecks my dream would be to drain the oceans and just see all the riches and wrecks and subs and planes and who knows what else!!!!! A guy can dream cant he lol!!!!!!

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to see the Land under the Polar Ice Caps.

I Have no Doubt that would Change Earth History
when they find the remains of large cities .
Computers, Transports, Books Etc.

I still Believe Mankind on Earth is millions of years Old,
and destroyed itself several times.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since Global warming is so bad we might LOL Im deplorable I know

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching a show a while ago about the Myans and they flew over a area where you could see old structures and they had said no one has entered there since the myans left. Im guessing the land was to overgrown or too many preditors but that would be cool to try to check out!!!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I agree I also think the ocean has covered up many old ancient ruins. Another thing that Amazes me is that there are things that are millions of light years away from earth can you even comprehend a light year let alone millions of light years. How can we think we are the only planet with life and people don't believe in Aliens ect a little off topic but had to go there.Like with Roswell right after we came up with cavlar fiber optics night vision radiation I love thinking about stuff like that!!!!!!

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The area has been closed off for miles shortly after 9/11, given the number of launches taking place there off Vandenberg AFB. No non AF boats had dived there and transiting the area is prohibited. Plus, hazardous seas are the norm. I tried to get permission from the Base Commander and tried to get in with members of the dive club Aqualiers, both were unsuccessful.
Steve, how far off the coast is the wreckage? Are there hiking trails in?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread