St Augustine, Fl

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Well, Dewcon; I'll be arriving St. Augustine tomorrow but leaving on Sunday, Nov 12, so it looks like I'm a week or so ahead of you.

And, I'm like you, not having a good idea as to where to beach hunt. Maybe there are some TNers who could enlighten both of us. If I run across any good info I'll post it here.

DFIU

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
Find and park at Ocean Trace Road. Search south @ low tide...waters edge.....you shouldn't be disappointed. And byt he way...there IS silver on that beach...in several different forms...;)

Jville

YankeeDownSouthAdv.

Bronze Member
Jun 28, 2005
alachua county, FL
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have been to st augustine, mainly dry sand , found silver jewelry andclad, and the usual beach junk, thanks for the tip for ocean trace rd, whats the dates u will be in st. augustine, travel there alot, my girlfriend and i frequent there alot..gregg....

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
JvilleHunter said:
Find and park at Ocean Trace Road. Search south @ low tide...waters edge.....you shouldn't be disappointed. And byt he way...there IS silver on that beach...in several different forms...;)

Jville

Thanx for the tip to Ocean Trace Road, Jville. I'll be checking it out tomorrow.

HH DFIU

kevino1960

Oct 22, 2006
West Coast FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark Fisher 1265X
I'll be heading to St A. on the 22nd, any updates, recommendations or tips about the beach there?

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all... i'll be in St. Augustine this week and was hoping to get in some detecting. I will check into Ocean Trace Rd. too. Anyone have any recent luck there? Any other recommendations for spots for early Spanish goodies (not too interested in modern stuff)? You're help would be greatly appreciated.

Phips

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, i meant to ask... is there a good place to park at Ocean Trace Rd.? Is there a park or is it all residential? I don't want to piss anyone off... Phips

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone help me out and suggest cool places to detect for early Spanish materials in the St. Augustine area? I will be up there tomorrow and could use some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Phips

S

Serious

I used to live in St. Augustine for a few years. I found one of those "once in a lifetime" fields while there. (I'll post pics sometime)

I can't remember the actual directions and I believe it may now be developed but the field (small) was very close to Ponce park and there is a radio station at the end of the road. If you can find what street the radio station was/is on, here's the directions;

Take the street toward the radio station (only one way in as it dead ends at the station) and there is a sharp curve to the right near the waters edge. The field is immediately off the road (on the left) as you enter this final curve toward the radio station.

I found more than a dozen pieces-of-eight/spanish reales, a gold medallion with the name John C. Breckenridge (I later found out he was a VP of the United States, ran for Presidency against Lincoln, was the admiral of the confedaracy and fled to St. Augustine after being pursued out of Cuba ... the medallion had his personal name on front and his street name on the reverse)
I also found OLD jewelry and NO junk, no clad. It was a dream.

FYI - I also hit a location (not as old though) similar to this bonanza in Milan, OH

Anyway, I'm happy to help more if needed.

capt_t

Dec 27, 2004
Jacksonville, FL
Serious,
how long ago was it that you hunted this field,,,everything down here is really growing. I'm guessing its right off the beach?
Thanks
capt_t

S

Serious

This was 10 or 11 years ago. Yes, it was right on the bay/marsh??

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
You mentioned you had photos????....If so...would it possible to display them?

S

Serious

Well sorta ... I simply have to take some pics, haven't actually done it yet. I'll dig the case(s) out and take some pics in the next few days. Then I'll have to learn how to post them ... Is there a "how to post pics" section?

JvilleHunter

Jun 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Equinox 800
Im guessing this wan't in St. Augustine.....this was just south of Daytona Beach? (Ponce Park- Google?) or is it Ponce Inlet (which was once called "Ponce Park" in St. Augustine not to far from the Lighthouse?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions