Stairs to Nowhere lead to Indian massacre!

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Weird but cool day here. I took today off work to get a cavity filled at 8 am this morning and had a second appointment to get my covid booster shot at 1pm. Since the appointments were 5 hours apart I decided to revisit the spot where I found the auto-tag a few weeks ago between appointments. Started at the stairs in the picture and found a few promising relics then got a solid 68 signal so was thinking deer slug and popped the mangled 1890 indian head penny shown in the pictures. Took me a few minutes just to ID and date it due to condition but I love altered coins so was pretty happy.
I just finished digging the target when a out-of-breath gentlemen approached me excitedly asking about my metal detector and if it could detect copper. I answered affirmative and he explained he was an irrigation tech that couldn't find a key sprinkler head on a large property and had seen me detecting when he drove by. He asked if I could help him locate the head so I agreed and followed the gentlemen to the location. After five minutes I located the sprinkler raintree head and the overjoyed fellow rewarded me with a twenty dollar bill (I tried to give it back but he wouldn't hear of it).
After saying our goodbyes I was driving to the covid appointment and something on the side of the road caught my eye so I stopped and scored a flaregun. So strange list of finds today: flaregun, twenty bucks, altered coin, and calamity jane's comb. Anyway have fun treasurehounds!

Attachments

• stairs.JPG
    stairs.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 231
  • clip.JPG
    clip.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 99
  • hair comb.JPG
    hair comb.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0740.JPG
    IMG_0740.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • flaregun.JPG
    flaregun.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 109
Upvote 31

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Weird but cool day here. I took today off work to get a cavity filled at 8 am this morning and had a second appointment to get my covid booster shot at 1pm. Since the appointments were 5 hours apart I decided to revisit the spot where I found the auto-tag a few weeks ago between appointments. Started at the stairs in the picture and found a few promising relics then got a solid 68 signal so was thinking deer slug and popped the mangled 1890 indian head penny shown in the pictures. Took me a few minutes just to ID and date it due to condition but I love altered coins so was pretty happy.
I just finished digging the target when a out-of-breath gentlemen approached me excitedly asking about my metal detector and if it could detect copper. I answered affirmative and he explained he was an irrigation tech that couldn't find a key sprinkler head on a large property and had seen me detecting when he drove by. He asked if I could help him locate the head so I agreed and followed the gentlemen to the location. After five minutes I located the sprinkler raintree head and the overjoyed fellow rewarded me with a twenty dollar bill (I tried to give it back but he wouldn't hear of it).
After saying our goodbyes I was driving to the covid appointment and something on the side of the road caught my eye so I stopped and scored a flaregun. So strange list of finds today: flaregun, twenty bucks, altered coin, and calamity jane's comb. Anyway have fun treasurehounds!
Nice day you had.Way to go finding that sprinkler for the guy and great he was really appreciative.Keep doing it!:icon_thumleft:

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wrote up a book today written by the missionary who founded the first church on the western side of the San Juans, at Lake City. in 1876. His name was Darley, and I read there is a Darley Mountain, near Ouray. Learned a little bit about the area. Wish I could see it.

MomPirate

Tenderfoot
May 22, 2022
Sounds like an awesome day!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just wrote up a book today written by the missionary who founded the first church on the western side of the San Juans, at Lake City. in 1876. His name was Darley, and I read there is a Darley Mountain, near Ouray. Learned a little bit about the area. Wish I could see it.
Very cool and strangely appropriate, I was supposed to camp in a national forest site known as 'the Gate' this weekend, it is twenty miles from Lake City. Unfortunately a tooth problem and a freak high-country storm thwarted my journey and next week is the start of tourist season in the San Juans (gets very overrun and I've got crowd anxiety) so I probably will not make it back there until fall. I will be sure to take a lot of pictures and post them when I do return, I know its not the same as being there but at least its something to see! Interesting history here, Chief Ouray's story is a sad one... he got stuck between the US Govt and his own people and both sort of ended up ostracizing him and he died in shame but the town of Ouray is quite stunning, 550 south is known as one of the most photographed areas of the state. Take care Creaky and thanks for the history lesson!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You had a full day that's for sure.
Was the flare gun loaded?
Use to have one handy on the boat for a bit of protection.
Had an empty casing thats all, I'll just throw it in with my backcountry gear love free stuff!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
love the variety of finds, really cool IHP. wtg

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lady's comb, suspender hardware.....FLARE GUN...?!
You have a great place to hunt AGAIN...!

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool and strangely appropriate, I was supposed to camp in a national forest site known as 'the Gate' this weekend, it is twenty miles from Lake City. Unfortunately a tooth problem and a freak high-country storm thwarted my journey and next week is the start of tourist season in the San Juans (gets very overrun and I've got crowd anxiety) so I probably will not make it back there until fall. I will be sure to take a lot of pictures and post them when I do return, I know its not the same as being there but at least its something to see! Interesting history here, Chief Ouray's story is a sad one... he got stuck between the US Govt and his own people and both sort of ended up ostracizing him and he died in shame but the town of Ouray is quite stunning, 550 south is known as one of the most photographed areas of the state. Take care Creaky and thanks for the history lesson!
I have a spare paperback copy of that book, ex library, that I will send you for free if you message me your mailing address. I haven't read it, but there are probably hints in there that will lead to detecting locations.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a spare paperback copy of that book, ex library, that I will send you for free if you message me your mailing address. I haven't read it, but there are probably hints in there that will lead to detecting locations.
Check your conversation box creaky and thanks, if I'm not in the room for a few days I have to deal with a crisis at work: both our trucks broke down on same day and I'm a gardener/landscaper in a town sixty miles away so we get to deal with that this week.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check your conversation box creaky and thanks, if I'm not in the room for a few days I have to deal with a crisis at work: both our trucks broke down on same day and I'm a gardener/landscaper in a town sixty miles away so we get to deal with that this week.
In the mail to you today. Now you'll have something to read the next time you break down by the side of the road! ha

OP
OP
R

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really like that comb you found. Congrats on all your finds and kudos for helping that guy.
Hopefully, you get your work vehicles straightened out.
Thanks for the kind words, got a day off out of it but they are fixed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread