staking mining claims, 1934 Taylor grazing act.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i would like to know if anyone has any info on the act of staking a mining claim
on patented Taylor grazing act land.
the area i am looking at was patented in 1953 if that makes any difference.
i have read that i may have to have my ducks in a row and get permission from the state before claiming or removing anything.
if so, where/who do i send a letter to get permission to do so.
any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i would like to know if anyone has any info on the act of staking a mining claim
on patented Taylor grazing act land.
the area i am looking at was patented in 1953 if that makes any difference.
i have read that i may have to have my ducks in a row and get permission from the state before claiming or removing anything.
if so, where/who do i send a letter to get permission to do so.
any help would be appreciated.
The Taylor Grazing Act replaced the old open range system. The only patents issued under the Grazing Act were Stock Raising and Homestead Act (SRHA) patents granted to States as an exchange for State lands. Not all State lands can be claimed. SRHA lands can be prospected and claimed much as public lands can be by following a few additional steps.

First you need to determine the subsurface status of the land you are interested in. You can do that in Arizona with the Land Matters Arizona Land Status Map. Just select the "i" information tool, click on your point of interest and see if you get a return for the "Arizona State Mineral Ownership" layer. If you do the land is not open to claim. You can also see the State subsurface ownership on the map by turning on the "Arizona State Mineral Ownership" map layer.

If the subsurface (minerals) are not owned by the State you can proceed with the process of establishing a mineral claim on the subsurface. You can see all the requirements for SRHA claims. Here's the brief version:
  1. Submit a notice of intent to locate mining claims form (NOITL), which you may obtain from BLM, with the proper BLM State Office and submit a non-refundable service charge for processing the NOITL
  2. Serve a copy of the NOITL on the surface owner(s) of record, by registered or certified mail, return receipt requested
  3. Submit proof to BLM that you served a copy of the NOITL on the surface owner(s) to complete submission of a NOITL with BLM. (1) Wait 30 days after you serve the surface owner(s) with the NOITL before entering the lands to explore for minerals or locate a mining claim or tunnel site; and (2) Follow procedures for locating mining claims and tunnel sites in part 3832.
This is the same process to follow if you are wanting to prospect or claim any private land patented under the SRHA.

You can see the whole SRHA claim process outlined here.

Heavy Pans

OP
OP
L

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
that's the info i was looking for. i knew i read someplace that it took an extra few steps, that have
to be done in a particular order and time. but could not remember where.
thank you clay for for taking the time to write that up. very helpful.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread