Starting out correctly?

TnTyrant

Jan 13, 2014
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mx5, m6, mxt that would be my choices. I have had a few mxt's in my time and I sell them ang get something more expensive like the dfx or the etrac and I am always wishing I had kept the mxt that is why I just bought me another new one and I'm gonna hang on to this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The MXT will get targets every bit as deep as the V3i or an E-trac, it doesn't have some nice features that the V3i has like the freq. offset to adjust for EMI among others. I like the MXT adjust on the fly and keep detecting feature and when I get to a detecting area I want to be detecting right away and not stop to be making adjustments. The V3i has a big learning curve and to get the most out of it you will need to know what all the adjustments do and how they affect other adjustments, if you make a change on the V3i you will need to know what other settings it affects and make changes to them if necessary. With the D2 coil I can get dimes at 10"+ with some being at 12" before and never feel outgunned with my MXT no matter what other detector anyone else is using. HH

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your sure your going to be in the hobby for a long time and have the funds buy the best you can get. The V3i does have a learning curve and is a great machine. But you can still use it right out of the box with the factory preset programs. Once you get it tweaked to your soil and hunting preferences it is a turn on and go detector. There is a lot of forums and info out there to learn everything the V3i will do and it is a sweet machine.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The v3i is an animal if its ur first machine not knowing what alot of the features do & seeing them for the first time might make that learning cuve alit longer I dont suggest this machine for a first, I do get what ur saying buy once & thats it, but I think.we all say that & end up buying anyway, the only one out the really that has the ability to buy once is the deus xp because if newer tech comes out u download it urself at ur home done new machine. Verse in a year or so whites comes out with another then ull want that its just how we all are.
All said id take a v3i again any day it really is a crazy machine Very versitle. I do want to say because all is so expensive you might actualy you can find other mid level machines out there on sites that are gently used with warranties given you a huge price break & that will teach you get you into knowing what does what,then when you feel ur ready sell it get ur money back or keep it as a back up or for a friend. Good luck

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I had the MXT and sold it i should have held on to it…. To me it was the best detector that Whites had ...

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get something good if you have the spare cash or you will be owning 2 detectors in a year. Which isn't so bad either. :)

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Get something good if you have the spare cash or you will be owning 2 detectors in a year. Which isn't so bad either. :)

Bingo! Buy something good and you won't regret it...

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
No question M6 or MXT !!! Both are simple to use, yet highly effective and built like tanks in the USA !!!
The MX5 is also supposed to be great too, but the MXT & M6 have been around longer and to be honest, I prefer knobs over touch key pads.

Sent from my BNTV600 using TreasureNet

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most never mention it, or may not even have given it much thought, but whether you're considering the most basic "beep and dig" detector or the most "bells and whistles" packed detector in the end they all just tell you that there's metal under the coil, anything more is a machine's best guess. The extra features help to decide whether it MAY be trash or treasure, but in the end retrieving and seeing the target is the final confirmation. IMHO, detectors with lots of settings may have an edge when tweaked just right for a given hunt, but may perform dismally if poorly set on another hunt. The mid - range detectors already mentioned will deliver very good performance for most hunting situations, be quick to learn, and offer a good selection of optional coils making them very versatile for nearly all hunting endeavors.
luvsdux

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
If you're talking mid-range and versatile, luvsdux just summed up the whole idea behind the "bells and whistles". If you have decided upon a mid range, Get a Whites M6 ..... no bells no whistles just a detector that will last forever.

OP
OP

5akers

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2014
Strafford MO
Detector(s) used
Still Looking
If you're talking mid-range and versatile, luvsdux just summed up the whole idea behind the "bells and whistles". If you have decided upon a mid range, Get a Whites M6 ..... no bells no whistles just a detector that will last forever.

@treasurecoasteric - I see that you run some Whites MD's, what do you think of the MXT pro with the Eclipse 950 coil?

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This wasn't directed to me but, in the parks I often hunt, I've found the 950 coil doesn't handle the trash as well as either the 6X10 ( which I use most of the time) or the 5.3. Depth is very good with the 950, but I often need a bit better separation. The variety of available coils makes the MXT and others of that series very versatile and adaptable in my opinion.
luvsdux

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im telling ya the whites machines are totally different & ull get the good depth,good separtion,with a sef coil lol

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the ultimate 13" DD coil looking for more depth over the D2 coil, it doesn't get any more depth over the D2 coil but it's equal in depth but it does give a better signal on those 10"+ coins that are setting on edge. I pounded an old baseball diamond with the D2 coil and then went back over the area with the 13" DD and found 3 more silver dimes setting on edge at 10" and a silver quarter at 12" on edge, the D2 did hit on those but didn't give me a good enough signal to dig them but the 13" coil gave just enough of a better signal that I dug them and the 13" coil covers more ground for those open area's. Every coil has it's place and its good to have a coil for different situations. HH

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
I haven't used anything but the 12" 300 coil that came with m MXT, but I am going to switch coils (950) between my M6 and MXT Pro. This weekend. It should be interesting. I have just determined that the MXT / 12" falses too much at beach and doesn't pinpoint very well. I want to see if the switch helps or should I say improve the performances of either machine. Just an expiriment, but you never know........ so far I am convinced that the M6 is a better machine and want to see if the 12" 300 coil is skewing my opinion.

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
13" coil? Right now I having trouble with a 12" LOL, but happy you're killing it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread