Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pa has the worst conservation rangers ever. Most people I know wont even step foot into pa state forrests anymore unless they are hunting. The dncr and state oversteps its reach in pa by leaps and bounds. Everyone I know refuses to go even camping anymore down in pa because of how the rangers treat people. Pretty much all you can do on state land is hunt in pa, unless you get a permit for a certain area, and even then it's the bs laws about not digging any plant life and so on that leave you to only be able to detect the picnic areas and swimming areas.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone know if you can hunt on State Forest lands?

IF you have permission to do so.

I suggest you do some "asking" other than here.

"Straight from the horses mouth" is always best... all you need do is find THE horse. :)

Follow ?

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_metal_detector.gif
Guess you are talking about PA? - take a look at DCNR > State Parks > Rules and Regulations > Metal Detecting. Also - found an interesting thread on: Metal Detecting Pennsylvania State Parks/Gamelands

Bottom line - when in doubt DON'T OR ask a Forest Ranger for permission.

Also, IF you are actually talking about Pennsylvania - let me know and if you are - I will move this thread over to our Pennsylvania Forum for more exposure.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I suggest you do some "asking" other than here. "Straight from the horses mouth" is always best... all you need do is find THE horse. :) ...

And when you find the top-most people in PA state forest dept. to ask, be sure to pepper the question with words like "take", "remove", "holes", "treasure", and "indian bones". After all, you wouldn't want to be "less than forthcoming" or "mince words". Then sit back and relish in their answer.

I'm sure you can find something in PA state forest codes that deal with the subject (cultural heritage issues, or prohibitions on "harvest & remove", or whatever). And I'm sure if you asked long enough and hard enough of enough desk-jockeys, that you can always find a "no". The same can be said of any park or forest, of any administration or level, across the entire USA. In fact, perhaps there's even an express "no" there in PA forests (specifically truly saying "no md'ing"). If so, that can be looked up. No need to ask pencil pushers. Laws are "no secret". They can be looked up for oneself. And if it didn't say "no md'ing", then presto: Not prohibited.

After all, how is someone supposed to go look for a ring, if they lost a ring there last week ? Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments and archie conventions.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"And when you find the top-most people in PA state forest dept. to ask, be sure to pepper the question with words like "take", "remove", "holes", "treasure", and "indian bones"."

? ? ?

Um... "take" ? Um "remove"... No just storing properly.

Um...... "holes" ... nope ... I fill them.

Um... "treasure"... bah no such thing around there.

"indian bones"... hmmm ... why are the Indians leaving bones around ?

:P

OP
OP
watersteps

watersteps

Mar 3, 2019
Potter County, PA.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7, Mine Lab, Bounty Hunter, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes vpnavy, this post is about PA State Forest lands.

OP
OP
watersteps

watersteps

Mar 3, 2019
Potter County, PA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks vpnavy,
I have a list of names and phone numbers for each state park in PA, I just got it 2 weeks ago from the state, I don't know how to attach it to this post.

OP
OP
watersteps

watersteps

Mar 3, 2019
Potter County, PA.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back up! I may want to look at other DCNR property. What would they be?

ugly_plugs

Jan 30, 2020
PA - Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Nokta Makro Simplex
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have just gotten back into detecting and have contacted several DCNR parks and district rangers with a kind email, and have had zero issues getting permission to detect on DCNR land. I know it is allowed by law,etc., but I wanted to touch base and clear it with those in charge before diving in. One district ranger was very kind and helped me with old homestead/CCC locations in his district for hunting when spring comes.

The Game Commission has been the opposite. No was their answer when I asked the officer responsible for Alvira, game lands 252.

Chris

ugly_plugs

Jan 30, 2020
PA - Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540
Nokta Makro Simplex
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I should say zero issues until today. I contacted The Bald Eagle Forest district office about Hairy John Picnic Area just to cover my bases, and received a reply from the clerk typist which included an attached pdf with the regulations stating it was ok. An hour after that, the district ranger replies stating my request is under review because it is currently NOT ok at Hairy John Picnic Area, and I need to wait for the agency and him to determine if I will be allowed. This goes against every other piece of literature I've read about DCNR rules on detecting. I've already received permission from other district rangers in other forest areas, so I know it's allowed. Sigh.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread