Steele & Johnson button

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had literally 45 minutes this morning to detect. Leaving for my cruise tomorrow and I have a million things to do. I went to a spot with no written history but it's close to a major river and I just had a gut feeling.
On my goals list this first year was to find a military button. The military history in Maine is very limited so I knew it wouldn't be easy. I dug this 2 piece button today and had a feeling by the look of it that it may be military. If anybody can help with any info I'd appreciate it. The front was gone which makes this find bitter sweet. Hope you all have an awesome week! I will be drinking Coronas in the sun:headbang:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 2

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Steele & Johnson Manufacturing Co operated in the 1850s followed by Steele & Johnson Button Co from the late 1850s to 1875. This maker was very active, but most buttons produced by them bore the names of the outfitters or nondescript quality denoted backmarks.
This site may interest you: Button bac marks, Steele & Johnson, Waterbury, Connecticut.
Don........

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe,
Congrats on the button. Enjoy your vacation. You may want to bring that knife with you to crack open the crab legs. :laughing7: Enjoy!
-Doug-

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe, Congrats on the button. Enjoy your vacation. You may want to bring that knife with you to crack open the crab legs. :laughing7: Enjoy! -Doug-
Thank you brother. It'll work great on the oysters and crabs. It'll prob pop the top off my brew as well

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your button's EXACT back (saying ".STEELE.&.JOHNSON") is shown in a photo in the McGuinn & Bazelon book on button-backmark dating, which says that specific marking dates from "circa 1860."

Steele & Johnson's advertising said the company manufactured military, fireman, police, and school uniform buttons. So, your button was almost certainly a uniform button of some kind. I should mention, the majority of the company's production in the 1860s was military buttons -- so, "the statistical odds" favor your circa-1860s Steele & Johnson button-back being from a military button.

Your photo of its back shows the rim of its front is still attached to the back. Does any part of the front's emblem remain? If so, please post a photo of it.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off a HUGE thanks to you CBG! You and a few others are the reason I chose this forum over the others. To have such passionate people with such a wealth of knowledge is what makes this forum so great. We all appreciate you. Unfortunately there's just nothing on the front. Bummer as I've never dug a military button and it's high on my first year goals list. But I'm not complaining. This first years journey has been incredible. Thank you my friend for the help image.jpg

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Abe - it's a shame your button didn't have the front still attached. I'd be willing to bet there's a fairly high probability it was military related. A lot of CW era button backs have a similar appearance, although I've never seen that backmark before. Now get back out there and dig some more colonial silver.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enjoy your vacation. We're all headed up to your neck of the woods to hunt all your spots while you're gone!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Abe - it's a shame your button didn't have the front still attached. I'd be willing to bet there's a fairly high probability it was military related. A lot of CW era button backs have a similar appearance, although I've never seen that backmark before. Now get back out there and dig some more colonial silver.
Thanks buddy I'm a little bummed about it but I can complain as I've had an incredible first right months of detecting. Completely changed my life for the better. I hopefully will find more...but they're not easy to find in my area.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enjoy your vacation. We're all headed up to your neck of the woods to hunt all your spots while you're gone!
Look out for the booby traps my friend :-)

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was not directed at you Ahab

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread