Sterling Silver Golf Trophy Cup for $1

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an estate sale this morning operated by the only professional estate sale company in my area. I always find their prices high, especially for a flipper like myself. They have a multiple thousand square-foot antique mall in the city, so I suspect that they are content to let things sit for the duration of the estate sale, and then negotiate with the family to buy the remaining inventory and simply move it to their store. I have had some luck in the past if I am willing to dig into the nooks and crannies in the outbuildings and stuff and find things that they haven’t had time to research. That wasn’t the case today. This sale was too well organized, and I overheard a saleswoman say that her husband had spent a couple of months organizing and pricing just the garage alone.

Somewhat dejected, I wandered up and down the rows of tables. I picked up this silver cup not expecting much, but only because I am in the habit of picking up silver and checking the bottom. Imagine my surprise when I saw that it was clearly marked ‘Sterling’! Imagine my even greater surprise when I saw that it was priced at $1!

It weighs in at a hefty 224g on my postal scale. I found an old eBay listing on Google for the same 1972 Governors’ Cup trophy from Knollwood (but no names engraved) that sold for $135. I am thrilled, because I think even melt value has to be somewhere around the $100 mark.

Thank you for looking and happy hunting!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521055567.124544.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521055584.424309.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1521055596.687227.jpg

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got over $200. for a golf trophy from the 1920s that was silver plated. I think there's a few collectors out there that go for old golf trophies

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll give you $ 5 now

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve been trying for years to get me a golf trophy....
Buying a trophy makes so much sense.....

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any golf collectible is good but sterling golf trophies are the best.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very interesting find! :occasion14:

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MotherOfGeeks, for the time being I just added it to my pile (actually shelves and shelves) of things to be listed. I saw your advice to BigCaddy on another thread (his monster sterling trophy bowl) that he try listing it on eBay as melt value plus fees to see what happens. I was waffling between sending it to the refiner and listing it on eBay, but I may try the latter.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Defiantly go to ebay first. I had a hit with a bunch of Sterling Spoons. I put them up at Double melt to start. I sold over half, and a few sold for several times my start price.

Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions