Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

This is the back of a Cloisonné pin which I dug. I’m writing to ask if anyone can assist with a date range on the piece.

42381663-40BB-45A4-8FC1-5FFB2DFC328F.jpeg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seeing the pattern on the other side may help with a timeline.
Don.......

Upvote 2
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like a 'Watson Company' (of Attleboro, Massachusetts) mark in a style used between 1920-1955. They produced a number of sterling pieces additionally marked 'Genuine Cloisonne', all in capital letters like that and I would guess it's probably from the 1920s-1930ish or thereabouts.
1920s was my hunch, but didn’t know where to turn for supporting information. It’s a frustratingly challenging site to date items from, since there was a colonial period house there, civil war troops visiting, a late 1800s/early 1900s trash pit, and the 1930-50s quarters houses all in the same field

Upvote 3

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1920s was my hunch, but didn’t know where to turn for supporting information. It’s a frustratingly challenging site to date items from, since there was a colonial period house there, civil war troops visiting, a late 1800s/early 1900s trash pit, and the 1930-50s quarters houses all in the same field

Yes... I know the problem!

I wouldn't change my opinion on dating, having now seen the item itself. Looks like it might have been a gentleman's tie pin rather than a ladies brooch.

For info, here's a better picture of a typical Watson mark (I took this from a fleabay listing for a ladies brooch where some fool said it was "Made in England"):

Watson mark.jpg

Upvote 3
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes... I know the problem!

I wouldn't change my opinion on dating, having now seen the item itself. Looks like it might have been a gentleman's tie pin rather than a ladies brooch.

For info, here's a better picture of a typical Watson mark (I took this from a fleabay listing for a ladies brooch where some fool said it was "Made in England"):

View attachment 1996559
I agree completely with you on the ID, thanks for all your help! :)

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread