IMG_3148 (2).JPG
    902.3 KB · Views: 33

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That,s a pretty spoon!I don,t know diddly about hallmarks,but I like the spoon,real good shape too.RedCoat,s the man you want to ID the Hallmarks.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Red-Coat, you can probably answer a question I've been asking various antiques-dealers for years without getting a specific answer. I realize the answer most likely cannot be nailed down to a single specific year... so, approximately what year did the (usually raised) marking saying "STERLING" in plain block letters (like we see on Indian Steve's spoon) first appear on eating utensils, jewelry, etc.?

Upvote 1

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat, you can probably answer a question I've been asking various antiques-dealers for years without getting a specific answer. I realize the answer most likely cannot be nailed down to a single specific year... so, approximately what year did the (usually raised) marking saying "STERLING" in plain block letters (like we see on Indian Steve's spoon) first appear on eating utensils, jewelry, etc.?

As a general rule, you can be pretty confident that the piece was made after the Civil War, and usually not before 1868, when America began to embrace the Sterling standard.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread