Sterling WWII Combat Infantryman Badge!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woke up early this morning and hit a young forest that was farmed until about the 1960s. There was a cold bitter wind and a thin layer of hard snow on the ground, but I could not resist the strong pull of this highly addictive hobby. (My wife thinks I am crazy, and I fear she may be right!) Best find was this beautiful WWII Combat Infantryman Badge. Wish I could figure out how to make a return - long shot at best. I pasted some info below. God bless the men and women who have served in our armed forces, whether in war or peace; our nation owes them its gratitude.

AWARD ELIGIBILITY: Awarded to personnel in the grade of Colonel or below with an infantry military occupational specialty who have satisfactorily performed duty while assigned as a member of an infantry unit, brigade or smaller size, during any period subsequent to 6 December 1941 when the unit was engaged in active ground combat.

The Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) was established by the War Department on 27 October 1943. Lieutenant General Lesley J. McNair, then the Army Ground Forces commanding general, was instrumental in its creation. He originally recommended that it be called the "fighter badge." The CIB was designed to enhance morale and the prestige of the Infantry.

Attachments

• 20201206_170826.jpg
    20201206_170826.jpg
    543.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20201206_170853.jpg
    20201206_170853.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 29

stewielouie

May 14, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
MXT, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a damn nice badge, Congrats on finding it!

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across your head and found a great badge! Congrats! :occasion14:

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across your head and found a great badge! Congrats! :occasion14:

Thanks! It was an enjoyable day in the life of a digger.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandfather was in WW2. An airplane mechanic. Late in the war they were short infantrymen. He volunteered for combat and was placed with the 6th Corps, combat engineers. He fought all the way across Germany and ended up in Austria. No combat badge for him as he was not officially in the infantry. He got lots of German souvenirs to make up for it though. Gary

js137c.JPG

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandfather was in WW2. An airplane mechanic. Late in the war they were short infantrymen. He volunteered for combat and was placed with the 6th Corps, combat engineers. He fought all the way across Germany and ended up in Austria. No combat badge for him as he was not officially in the infantry. He got lots of German souvenirs to make up for it though. Gary

View attachment 1884623

That is a shame he did not get the official recognition he deserved. He was obviously a brave and patriotic man. Nice souvenirs though.

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

View attachment 1884623
Those are some awesome historic pieces! Some of my great-grandparents were in the war... I've been told my great-grandpa was a sniper, I don't know if that's true he brought back a bunch of stuff including a sword of some sort. Unfortunately it was sold because it brought back bad memories. Someone in the family has a recording of him telling about his time in the war but I have yet to find it.

nkellam22

Feb 9, 2019
Western Europe
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beautiful find, I know exactly what you mean when you say you're crazy. When I get it in my mind that I'm going metal detecting I'm going, rain or shine!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find, I have seen several dug. Sadly yours is missing the blue enamel background.

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Awesome find Len.

I found the same exact one about a month or so ago. But mine was not silver. And it was turned into a bracelet.

Jer

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find, I have seen several dug. Sadly yours is missing the blue enamel background.

Thanks. The blue background, which designates infantry, I believe, has worn off after many years underground. It also has a slight bend, but is in otherwise very good shape considering. I am glad I saved it, but wish I could return it to the hero that lost it.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find Len.

I found the same exact one about a month or so ago. But mine was not silver. And it was turned into a bracelet.

Jer

Thanks. I am no expert, but I believe the army still awards this medal. I know the WWII version was silver, but some later versions were a different metal.

shinyrockmaster69

Nov 2, 2020
Luxemborger
Detector(s) used
Shiny rock detector 5000 deluxe edition
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful find, I know exactly what you mean when you say you're crazy. When I get it in my mind that I'm going metal detecting I'm going, rain or shine!

absolutely!!!!1!111!!1!111!!!1!1111!!1! evrytim i go hjunting for epicj coinns i cant stop th adrejlaine rushs in my bowel movements! i sure do love metal detecint ghunting, rain or shine! :occasion14: :laughing9:

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find. Kudos for your effort to find the owner but I doubt you’ll succeed. Might have been worn in those woods by a youngster playing army with his buddies. When I think of all the army issue gear belonging to our parents which my friends and I lost in the woods, I want to scream. It just didn’t hold the proper significance for us. Karma being karma, most of my stuff gradually disappeared as my sons played with it in the woods. History repeats itself.
dts

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great find. Kudos for your effort to find the owner but I doubt you’ll succeed. Might have been worn in those woods by a youngster playing army with his buddies....

Thanks. That is a good theory on how the item may have potentially been lost in a former farmfield that is now woods. I was thinking maybe a hunter, but your idea seems more plausible. As for a return, there is no name or initials on it to go by. I have an acquaintance connected to the property, but have not seen him in years. I may reach out to him at some point, as perhaps he was the mischievous youngster that lost it. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I am no expert, but I believe the army still awards this medal. I know the WWII version was silver, but some later versions were a different metal.
Congratulations on a great find. Yes, the CIB is still awarded in the U.S. Army. The second and third award are designated by a star or two two stars above the wreath. The third award is rare. The EIB without the wreath (Expert Infantry Badge) can be harder to earn than the CIB in some cases, it involves a series of field tests that the soldier must perform to expert standards. There is also a Combat Medical Badge and Combat Action Badge as well.

Happy Hunting!
U.S. Army 1980-2007

Attachments

• 255056FC-0DBC-4BEF-8D3A-A9FD2A871EC9.jpeg
    255056FC-0DBC-4BEF-8D3A-A9FD2A871EC9.jpeg
    21.8 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread