Steve's Detector Rods - Totally Awesome!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alas, I lost my anti-gravity device today somewhere in a huge lot that is being torn up to put up condos. Tomorrow the heavy equipment comes in. I didn't notice it was gone until I went to put my detector in the truck and saw that the counter-balance was missing. :( Covered so much territory today in a very torn up area that there was no hope of finding it. Gonna miss my weightless coil.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Buzz --

Send me an email, [email protected]; I'll get you taken care of...

Steve

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Buzz --

Glad to help! (Anti-gravity device, LOL)!

Funny you say that, about the "what is it" forum. Once, the post office somehow destroyed one of the boxes I shipped a counterweight and a shaft in; the shaft was there, but the counterweight slid out of the broken-open box. The post office told me they would "search" for the lost item, and I remember thinking -- if they actually WERE to find it, no one would have ANY IDEA what it was! ;)

LOL!

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Buzz --

Glad to help! (Anti-gravity device, LOL)!

Funny you say that, about the "what is it" forum. Once, the post office somehow destroyed one of the boxes I shipped a counterweight and a shaft in; the shaft was there, but the counterweight slid out of the broken-open box. The post office told me they would "search" for the lost item, and I remember thinking -- if they actually WERE to find it, no one would have ANY IDEA what it was! ;)

LOL!

Steve

Yes, it's interesting what can happen to shipments. Items that should have been destroyed due to bad packaging can make it though fine, and others that are packed well, can be destroyed. For instance, when I was in business and shipping/receiving auto parts, I received and huge wrap-around back glass that was wrapped in a blanket and tied with twine. All 4 corners of the glass had slipped out of the blanket and only one piece of twine remained. It came through in perfect condition, not even a scratch on the glass. No way that should have made it all the way across the country. Contrary to that, I shipped out an automotive driveshaft packed inside a PVC sewer pipe to a place just over 100 miles away. Not only was the sewer pipe broken in two (half being missing) they also bent the driveshaft at a 30 degree angle! Just incredible.....that was probably the most bulletproof package I ever shipped. It must have been a challenge to them that they just couldn't pass up! I mean what could have done that? Did they back over it with the truck? :icon_scratch:

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Alas, I lost my anti-gravity device today somewhere in a huge lot that is being torn up to put up condos. Tomorrow the heavy equipment comes in. I didn't notice it was gone until I went to put my detector in the truck and saw that the counter-balance was missing. :( Covered so much territory today in a very torn up area that there was no hope of finding it. Gonna miss my weightless coil.

I just want everyone to know... today (just two days after I posted that I lost it), Steve is putting my new counterweight in the mail.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cudamark -- what an incredible story! I cannot possibly IMAGINE what happened to that driveshaft! Hopefully, you were reimbursed!

Iron Buzz -- thanks; I am glad to help get you back "up and running!"

Thanks,

Steve

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, UPS paid for the driveshaft, but, I didn't have another, so, the customer was rather upset!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cudamark -- OH boy. Not good! Unreal!

StinkinLincoln

Feb 20, 2018
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But what about flying?

This seems like a great product and upgrade to my 600 but at almost 35” long for one of the shafts what do you do when you travel on a plane? That’s too long to fit in my biggest suitcases.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This seems like a great product and upgrade to my 600 but at almost 35” long for one of the shafts what do you do when you travel on a plane? That’s too long to fit in my biggest suitcases.

StinkinLincoln, THANKS for your interest! There are two solutions to the issue, with my customers gravitating toward one or the other...

1. For my customers that don't travel often, many will choose to buy the two-piece shaft with 35 1/2" upper, and then when they travel, they use the stock Minelab shaft as specifically a "travel shaft."

2. For my customers that want to travel with one of my shafts, I offer a custom design on a 3-piece shaft, which has been well-received (and can even be made to fit in a carry-on bag). I can make each of the three sections any size that is needed; I've even built them at custom lengths to fit in very specific hard cases, etc. The most popular design I produce has a maximum length of 21 to 22" for any of the three sections, so as to fit in a carry-on (the lower is 21-22" long, the other two sections slightly shorter), and it simply incorporates a second cam lock into the design, to allow attachment of the three sections. I'm happy to discuss it further with you if you wish, and will attach a design drawing as well, so you can see specifically what it looks like. The drawing shows just one variation; again, the length of any shaft section can be customized to whatever length is necessary.

Thanks!

Steve

54-inch-travel-shaft.jpg

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have one of Steve's travel rods and I can say without any reservation or exception, it's THE BEST on the market. I've had several travel rods and they can't compare. Most travel rods share a common fault...they wobble. If not right out of the box, eventually. Not so with Steve's rods. They are more solid than any other I've used. As is true with all his work, it's well engineered and precisely fitted in every sense of the word. Rest assured, the connections (the characteristic weak points on other travel shafts) are just as solid as his regular shafts.

Once you have one and use it, I'm sure you'll agree with my evaluation.

Again, I have no financial interest in or connection with Steve's Rods other than I've tested and now exclusively use his rods.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANK YOU, Dan! I really appreciate you chiming in! And of course, thrilled that you like your travel shaft so well!

Thank you!!

Steve

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just want everyone to know... today (just two days after I posted that I lost it), Steve is putting my new counterweight in the mail.

And it arrived yesterday (June 18). A complete upper rod with counterweight. I know that there are others out there making custom rods for the Nox, but have they got people behind them like Steve?

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANK YOU for the kind words, Iron Buzz! I'm glad you are "back in business" now; happy to help!

Steve

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
You will never find anyone like Steve. He works so hard with everyone so hard to make them completely satisfied.
He is the only one that has a counterweight designed for the shaft. The counterweight is amazing and it really helps counterbalancing the weight of the 15 and 18” coils.
His rods are amazing in quality and looks.

Doug.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Doug -- I very much appreciate the compliment! Wow! Thank you!

Steve

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just received my Equinox 800 shaft kit! Excellent quality and customer service. 32C92838-8E0C-4EC0-A22B-7DFC6E93EBE4.jpeg

Attachments

• DEF93984-FFCF-4F2D-85E9-B2DD093560CB.jpeg
    DEF93984-FFCF-4F2D-85E9-B2DD093560CB.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 78

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
THANKS, Hoosierguy, for your kind words, and your business! I'm so glad you are pleased!

Thank you!

Steve

crossfire631

Mar 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Minelab Equinox 600
Have only had my carbon fiber shaft from Steve’s Detector Rod on my Equinox 600 for about a week but so far it’s been definite improvement. The counterweight took a little getting used to but I already barely notice it. Spent over two hours with it yesterday and definitely can tell the difference. The cam lock is really nice to adjust to the length you want. Steve was great to deal with, very quick response on emails and works with you to get the setup that will work best for you. I recommend that if your thinking about upgrading from the stock shaft get in contact with Steve. Your won’t be disappointed and the Carbon Fiber shaft looks really nice too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions