Steve's Detector Rods - Totally Awesome!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.

crossfire631

Mar 15, 2009
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Minelab Equinox 600
Donut / Doug, I will definitely try that as taking strain off my wrist was one of the reasons I went to a carbon shaft. Thanks for the help I appreciate that!

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
I’m pushing 72 and doing that plus Steve’s rod and counterweight has increased my detecting time expendstally

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The counter weight has helped me offset a back injury from a power auger that I re injured in the gym. Worth it.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, folks! I appreciate the support!

Crossfire631 -- I'm so glad to hear that you are pleased, and that the counterweight is helping!

Steve

Aeds151

Jan 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw. I use the most weight count in my counter weight.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Aeds. I try to be sure I "fit" each customer with the appropriate amount of weight; I can't recall what size/weight we used for yours, but it sounds like it provides you with the necessary relief...

Steve

Happa54

Feb 20, 2016
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
EQX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd like to pile onto this thread too.

When you are doing business with Steve, you will learn that you are dealing with an honest and sincere human being. His true colors come out from the time you initiate your communication with him up until the product is delivered. Steve treats you like you are a relative or best friend.

I started with his Nox shaft then recently ordered the counterweight system. I have tendonitis and it flares up during hunts which makes me constantly regrip/reposition the machine in my fingers and hand. Once I put the counterweights on, I noticed that my Nox was significantly heavier. I initially thought that this wasn't going to be good. But once I started to swing, it became lighter due to the counterweight on the opposite end of the coil.

This past weekend, I hunted for several hours and I felt no discomfort or pain in my wrist/forearm. The coil floated above the ground and the weight of the machine also floated in my fingers. I had no stress/pain in my wrist whatsoever....I was also able to hunt a steep slope for 2 hours which I've been avoiding for the last year or so.

I've gone back and forth, off & on with the counterweights to make sure I wasn't just psychologically hyped up and fooling myself. But, for me, there is a huge difference from factory to the current modifications to the shaft and I am quite pleased.

Thank you Steve for all that you do to contribute to this hobby.

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Happa --

THANK YOU for the very kind words! I do consider each customer a "friend" and "cohort" in this great hobby that we share. I'm just another detectorist, who likes to use equipment that works well, and does its job properly. And from that perspective, the goal I have in mind for each person who contacts me, is to provide them with something that I believe will help make each hunt more enjoyable, and make their detectors more comfortable to swing.

I especially am glad to hear of your experience with the counterweight. I know for some, it remains counter-intuitive to "add weight" to what is marketed as being a "super-light machine." But the fact is, lightweight -- without balance -- is NOT comfortable. It's the difference between carrying a 2x4 from the MIDDLE of the board, versus from one of the ends. Either way, no matter which way you try to carry it, the 2x4 weighs the same. But -- it is NOTABLY more difficult to carry a 2x4 from near one of the ends, than it is to carry it from the MIDDLE, where it is "balanced." Yes, absolute weight matters some; after all, it's always good to swing a machine that weighs as little AS POSSIBLE. BUT -- if achieving the lightest weight possible means sacrificing balance, then what you've actually done is made the machine MORE difficult to swing, than it would have been had you made it 10 or 12 ounces heavier, but PROPERLY BALANCED...

I'm glad to hear, Happa, that by experimenting, you convinced yourself that it's not "in your mind." And you are right -- it's not. It's simply physics...

Thank you for the great feedback!

Steve

sphillips

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2008
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happa --

THANK YOU for the very kind words! I do consider each customer a "friend" and "cohort" in this great hobby that we share. I'm just another detectorist, who likes to use equipment that works well, and does its job properly. And from that perspective, the goal I have in mind for each person who contacts me, is to provide them with something that I believe will help make each hunt more enjoyable, and make their detectors more comfortable to swing.

I especially am glad to hear of your experience with the counterweight. I know for some, it remains counter-intuitive to "add weight" to what is marketed as being a "super-light machine." But the fact is, lightweight -- without balance -- is NOT comfortable. It's the difference between carrying a 2x4 from the MIDDLE of the board, versus from one of the ends. Either way, no matter which way you try to carry it, the 2x4 weighs the same. But -- it is NOTABLY more difficult to carry a 2x4 from near one of the ends, than it is to carry it from the MIDDLE, where it is "balanced." Yes, absolute weight matters some; after all, it's always good to swing a machine that weighs as little AS POSSIBLE. BUT -- if achieving the lightest weight possible means sacrificing balance, then what you've actually done is made the machine MORE difficult to swing, than it would have been had you made it 10 or 12 ounces heavier, but PROPERLY BALANCED...

I'm glad to hear, Happa, that by experimenting, you convinced yourself that it's not "in your mind." And you are right -- it's not. It's simply physics...

Thank you for the great feedback!

Steve

Yep, its physics. My excal weighs a bit more than the 800, but with the brain box at my elbow, I don't even notice the weight. Even though the 800 weighs less than the excel, it is nose heavy, so I will be ordering your replacement rod and counter weight as soon as my wife says its ok:icon_thumleft:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sphillips -- I look forward to hearing from, you as soon as it won't land you in the dog house! ;)

Steve

CygnusX1

Jun 19, 2018
Covington, La
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll, Minelab Equinox 600 - Nokta Pinpointer, Xtreme scoop and handle.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received one of Steves weighted detector rods for my Equinox and I must say I simply love it! Thanks, Steve!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cygnus -- I'm glad you are enjoying the shaft, and I really appreciate the shout-out! Thank you, sir!

Steve

I received one of Steves weighted detector rods for my Equinox and I must say I simply love it! Thanks, Steve!

Iron Buzz

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2016
South St Paul, MN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BTW, Steve... you may be happy to know that my counterweight is still intact. LOL!

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Buzz -- SUPER! Glad to hear it!

Thanks,

Steve

Iffy Signals

Sep 17, 2018
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
Current-Deus & Equinox 800. Past - CTX, F75, AT Pro/Max, F44, Patriot.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One day ill turn my Nox into a lambo with a Steves rod. Right now its like a supped up Honda because i still have the detect ed but a Steves cam lock on it.

Last edited:

sgoss66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jan 11, 2011
Norman, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iffy Signals -- LOL! A Lambo! ;) Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you like the cam lock...that was a huge focus for me, when I was designing the shaft; getting that part right was key to the entire design, so it's good to hear that folks appreciate that specific component! :)

Steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions