Still "scratching" my head on this one!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have only two Coinstar Machines in our hick town. Safeway I checked at least twice a day. The other is at Walmart and I don't have very good luck with that one. What we do have is an abundance of tweekers who use these machines everyday.

So while grabbing a bag of doggie treats at Walmart, I hit the self checkout which leads out to the coinstar. I checkout, grab my bag and place it on the coinstar to put away my receipt. Look in the reject slot and see a few coins. Scoop them up and start to walk out. I can hear what sounds like "junk" and take a quick peek. I see the big III staring back at me :smileinbox:......Stop! Look again and yup, its a 3 Cent Nickle; 1867. Make a U-turn, go back and re-scan all around the coinstar to make sure I didn't miss anything else. Nothing.

This is by far the best find we have from our machines......I just don't believe it How does this happen?.........Still though. It made my MONTH!

Good luck!---bolle
Screenshot_20200204-120757.png Screenshot_20200204-120813.png

Noah_D

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2017
Illinois (prev. NE Ohio)
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+, Garrett ACE 300, Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy cow!! Thats the coolest coinstar find I've seen posted! Congrats!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Beautiful coin. I check every coin I get back for change or lay eyes on now. Who knows how many oldies I missed out on in the past.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, best coinstar find I have even seen...that I remember of course.

NSR60

Mar 26, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you just won the Coinstar Forum for the month. I've always liked the odd denominations, but I would never expect to find one in a thousand years.

This, boys and girls, is why we keep looking.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Very nice!! Sadly I have to think a lot of the really old stuff from coin stars is probably bums who are trying to cash in stolen coin collections. Either that or little Johnny inherited grandpa’s coin collection and decided he’d rather have it in cash. People are weird.

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you just won the Coinstar Forum for the month. I've always liked the odd denominations, but I would never expect to find one in a thousand years.

This, boys and girls, is why we keep looking.

I agree! I would have never thought this would show up in a coinstar. Metal detecting; YES! coinstar NO! I do check our machines so often that it makes a big difference when it comes to finds. Like washingtonian said, our lower levels of life we have around here uses the machines a lot with the handouts they get and the theft issues are big. I think if I came across a "big" haul of old stuff I would have to ask LE about any recent burglary's.

And like you said, always check! It doesn't cost anything!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just amazing I dont get it either but there are allot of idiots out there well done

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Never thought this could show up in a coinstar. I believe anything smaller in size than a dime would fall through the holes in the lift tray and into the box beneath - at least on every coinstar I've seen. This coin must have been dropped right into the machine's slot. I'd have to go back with a flashlight and look through the lift tray into the box.

Sleepy Holow

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Expanding Operations
Detector(s) used
Never used one, but am interested
Primary Interest:
Other
:o Everyone...quiet down for a second, I have an announcement...

:lurk:

...the competition for "Coinstar Find of the Decade" is over!

____??? ??? ??? ???____

What's that? The decade just started? I KNOW...you're just going to have to wait for 2030 for your chance at the title.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread