Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

oaktree 2 pence 4.jpg oaktree 2 pence 5.jpg

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

oaktree 2 pence 8.jpg oaktrr 2 pence 7.jpg oaktree 2 pence 1.jpg

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

Oaktree 2 pence 6.jpg

Upvote 197

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

View attachment 2025794 View attachment 2025795

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

View attachment 2025796 View attachment 2025797 View attachment 2025798

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

View attachment 2025803
wow, really incredible. Banner in my book, well done

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many thanks to everyone who took the time to leave a comment. They are much appreciated!
After searching through a bunch of different internet sites, I believe the coin to be the Noe-30 variety.

Given that this coin has been in the ground for 300+ years ( with all of the associated environmental damage), does it make any sense to have it professionally conserved and/ or graded by PCGS or NGC? I don't have any plans to sell it, but its a pretty special/ unique piece, and I'd like to show it the respect it deserves. I'd be very interested in your thoughts. Thanks!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely YES... IF it were mine / me... i would be already looking into it.
Your coin should be conserved and preserved professionally... no other way IMO.
Anything short of that and you will be doing the coin and yourself a disservice.

You will thank me one day perhaps if what i am saying now actually persuades you into actually doing it.
This will continue to appreciate in value... no brainer really.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025794 View attachment 2025795

View attachment 2025796 View attachment 2025797 View attachment 2025798

View attachment 2025803
Excellent job!
Beautiful stuff! 👍
A pretty rare coin, I’d say…!!
Banner voted in.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep... this coin is stellar... IMO... one of the best coins on Tnet to date... and its all due to the condition.
It is not often someone digs something like that... but its really not often that when it is dug its in that kind of condition....
Like it was dropped last month. heh

After some reflection on this overall i would dare say this coin will not only grade... it will grade well.

And i think Silver Monkey should play the Lottery.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the many benefits to being a Mass hunter is a better-than-most opportunity to find a tree coin. Someone mentioned Holy Grail- I totally agree. Your coin is simply amazing and Big Time Congrats to you for that historic find! I was blessed to find a Pine tree in 2008, so I know your excitement, and it's hard to describe. Welcome to the club friend!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread