Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

oaktree 2 pence 4.jpg oaktree 2 pence 5.jpg

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

oaktree 2 pence 8.jpg oaktrr 2 pence 7.jpg oaktree 2 pence 1.jpg

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

Oaktree 2 pence 6.jpg

Upvote 197

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given that this coin has been in the ground for 300+ years ( with all of the associated environmental damage), does it make any sense to have it professionally conserved and/ or graded by PCGS or NGC? I don't have any plans to sell it, but its a pretty special/ unique piece, and I'd like to show it the respect it deserves. I'd be very interested in your thoughts. Thanks!
Your choice, I wouldn't stick it in a tomb never to be touched again. Although I am assuming your just holding the rim & not touching the face.
There is no conservation needed.
Anyone worth there salt knows its real, no need for a 'Pro' to charge you for that one if your not selling.
There is always the risk of loss in postage as well, & it might be insured, but you don't want the money, right?
I never let any of my finds out of my sight (other than Treasure which the Law requires me to hand in), if the FLO wants to picture it in my presents, thats fine. I never leave it to others to secure my finds.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader is correct. If you send it to be graded you need to insure it in the 5 figure range. That will get expensive. I'd put this one if a safe deposit box. And don't tell your friends and neighbors you have it.

Last edited:

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good point, if you have no intention of selling it ever, why risk the mail? unless of course you WANT some sort of professional evaluation that you feel goes beyond your expertise.
I recall a diamond....hope diamond being sent in a brown paper bag comes to mind...I work for the post office but with 700 thousand employees I wouldn't risk sending it...however, I, a postal carrier, would make sure it got to its proper place...

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is incredible! Very happy for you! What a bucket lister! Banner all the way...

bottlebum

Jul 18, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 900
Nokta/Makro Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking at your coin almost brought me to tears. Congratulations for your great find. :notworthy:

I'd have it PCGS or NGC certified. It could always be cracked out, later, if you feel the need to.

Diggen It 1900

Mar 9, 2022
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

View attachment 2025794 View attachment 2025795

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

View attachment 2025796 View attachment 2025797 View attachment 2025798

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

View attachment 2025803
Awesome, STELLER Find!!!
Brian

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Awesome - Always pays to be tenacious!!! Congrats!!!

sandsifter

Dec 14, 2007
Rockport Texas
Detector(s) used
SOV GT, EXCAL 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
awesome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread