Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

oaktree 2 pence 4.jpg oaktree 2 pence 5.jpg

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

oaktree 2 pence 8.jpg oaktrr 2 pence 7.jpg oaktree 2 pence 1.jpg

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

Oaktree 2 pence 6.jpg

Upvote 197

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

jaybreezy58

Aug 19, 2021
south shore massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

View attachment 2025794 View attachment 2025795

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

View attachment 2025796 View attachment 2025797 View attachment 2025798

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

View attachment 2025803
I live on the south shore. Tough to find people to hunt with. Plus I'm relatively new to this. If you ever want company I'd love to learn from you

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Again, thank you everyone for your kind words and suggestions. Being awarded my second BANNER is a true honor. I have great respect for the members of this community, and your many accomplishments in the realm of treasure hunting. JeffinMass is 100% correct...I am lucky to live in New England, where its possible to find coins and relics from the 1600's and 1700's. That's a blessing. I'm in the process of getting the coin professionally appraised ( don't worry Crusader...I won't let it out of my sight!) by someone with expertise in early American coinage. I'm hoping to nail down the specific Noe variety. I'll be happy to share the results with you all. I will also see what I can do about posting some better pictures.

Best wishes to all and Happy Hunting! You never know what's going to be at the bottom of your next hole!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, thank you everyone for your kind words and suggestions. Being awarded my second BANNER is a true honor. I have great respect for the members of this community, and your many accomplishments in the realm of treasure hunting. JeffinMass is 100% correct...I am lucky to live in New England, where its possible to find coins and relics from the 1600's and 1700's. That's a blessing. I'm in the process of getting the coin professionally appraised ( don't worry Crusader...I won't let it out of my sight!) by someone with expertise in early American coinage. I'm hoping to nail down the specific Noe variety. I'll be happy to share the results with you all. I will also see what I can do about posting some better pictures.

Best wishes to all and Happy Hunting! You never know what's going to be at the bottom of your next hole!
Congrats on the banner, glad it made it, some slip through the net....
Sound sensible to pin down the Noe variety, which can been done in a picture by the right people. Those that stay they need it in the hands are the 'Experts' with reputations to protect, never willing to stick their neck out. Anyways it will be good to nail the ID down, which under our system can be done on the PAS with pictures. Our Museums will do that, but I know you guys only have the 'charging route'. I believe these should be free services, because the most important thing other than a full attribution is its find-spot provenance. If you can keep that with it, GPS would be best way, then do it. (go back & take it, if not already done) So whoever you pass it on to knows its true Historical Provenance.

burlbark

Mar 5, 2011
Obviously with the condition of the coin I would recommend PCGS preservation and grading. No need to mention its provenance. A coin of this age will not fall under some of the scrutiny of the grading particulars. The pictures you have provided show extremely sharp edges... What will this grade?
For shipping to PCGS I would either hand deliver, certified mail or Fedex with 6 figure insurance.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well-deserved congrats on an epic recovery. Lots of wonderful detail, which can be hard to get in those small two-pence coins. Beautiful condition with lots of eye appeal. I'm sure you'll remember the experience for many, many years. Simply the Best! :notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

authorann

Tenderfoot
Sep 30, 2013
Poultney, VT
Detector(s) used
Fisher M-Scope
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Looks great! Worth the three, right?
AnnDuncan

Etta

Greenie
Jan 8, 2015
Washington State
Primary Interest:
Other
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Wow!!! That's super cool.

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Jeannette, PA (Westmoreland Co.)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
This is why OAK ISLAND never ends!!!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread