Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

oaktree 2 pence 4.jpg oaktree 2 pence 5.jpg

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

oaktree 2 pence 8.jpg oaktrr 2 pence 7.jpg oaktree 2 pence 1.jpg

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

Oaktree 2 pence 6.jpg

Upvote 197

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
A huge congratulations man. Sometimes rarity goes beyond know minted quantities or even known existing examples. Even though I’m just a ghost in the shadows looking at other’s finds, this one my friend is truly something special.

Portagee Digga

Greenie
May 28, 2022
Greetings!

I'll keep this short. I returned to a section of woods where I recently found a William iii halfpenny and a nicely gilded Navy button. I hunted for about three hours without much to show for my efforts. I hit a reasonable signal along side a stream...not a great signal, but I figured worth a look.

At the bottom of the hole was an incredibly small coin. Thought it might be a trime...but seemed too small.

View attachment 2025794 View attachment 2025795

It wasn't until I got it home that I realized what I had found...a 1662 Massachusetts Oak Tree Twopence coin. Honestly, I didn't even know that they minted a two pence coin. Not sure what variety it is, so will need to do some research. Can't begin to describe how excited I am. This is my oldest coin, and I doubt I will ever find one older.

View attachment 2025796 View attachment 2025797 View attachment 2025798

This was literally the only coin I found after three hours of digging. You can see my other finds below. Thanks for taking a look. If anyone has any thoughts about the specific variety of the coin, please feel free to share. HH

View attachment 2025803
I'm new to detecting.
I guess I'm not alone in digging for hours and finding nothing. Like in real estate its all about location. Thanks for sharing.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratulations on the sweet piece of mass silver,
In regards to the 'clipping' mentioned in someone's comment,
All of The Oak and Large planchet Pine issues were clipped down to weight at the Boston mint.
Their minting involved a strip of silver (there is a name for this) squeezed and stretched through a rocker press, the individual coins were then cut out and clipped down to weight.
In the case of your coin, 10.4 g or
.67 g, your choice 😂(grains/grams) now that's a fishscale.
Odd that the slabbed example someone posted says 12g.
The manufacturing process also caused the off center strike, as adjusting this type of press with it's curved dies was critical.
I don't see an easy match in the 7 reverses listed in Salmon,(from a single pair of does) that 2 is odd, but, Mass silver is odd.
I have an Oak threepence with an unlisted inverted M.
Anyway, fine find, here's some pix and info.
Thanks to Mr/Dr Salmon.
IMG_20220611_092948_549~2.jpg
IMG_20220611_092602_935~2.jpg
IMG_20220611_093756_167~2.jpg
IMG_20220611_092742_075~2.jpg

Look for the sinusoidal bend, indicative of the rocker press.
IMG_20220611_094557_267~2.jpg

And keep your eyes open for one of these, you'd prolly score another banner.
IMG_20220611_093510_684~3.jpg

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the sweet piece of mass silver,
In regards to the 'clipping' mentioned in someone's comment,
All of The Oak and Large planchet Pine issues were clipped down to weight at the Boston mint.
Their minting involved a strip of silver (there is a name for this) squeezed and stretched through a rocker press, the individual coins were then cut out and clipped down to weight.
In the case of your coin, 10.4 g or
.67 g, your choice 😂(grains/grams) now that's a fishscale.
Odd that the slabbed example someone posted says 12g.
The manufacturing process also caused the off center strike, as adjusting this type of press with it's curved dies was critical.
I don't see an easy match in the 7 reverses listed in Salmon,(from a single pair of does) that 2 is odd, but, Mass silver is odd.
I have an Oak threepence with an unlisted inverted M.
Anyway, fine find, here's some pix and info.
Thanks to Mr/Dr Salmon.
View attachment 2031476 View attachment 2031477 View attachment 2031478 View attachment 2031479
Look for the sinusoidal bend, indicative of the rocker press.
View attachment 2031480
And keep your eyes open for one of these, you'd prolly score another banner.
View attachment 2031481
I never thought to create a "Bucket List" for myself but along with the 1823/2
Capped Bust Quarter, (only variety of the 1823), John Hull's 3, 6 & 12 pence
(Shilling) coins were always on my mind when detecting in Boston.

Over the years, I'm sure a few were tossed aside as just a flat piece of silver by the unaware who would not understand their rarity & significance as a coin. John Hull was paid "one shilling threepence for every twenty shillings coined as his compensation. This fee was adjusted several times during his term as mintmaster" (From Redbook 1984)
This would lead one to assume that Hull minted many more than just the handful that are today known to exist. Many may have been melted down, and many may have been lost or misplaced, but I'd bet there are still some hiding underground or in some attic somewhere.
Years ago, I hunted The Boston Common & The Public Gardens when I was doing construction work there, & these Hull coins were always a vision in my head because Hull's shop where he made these was just a few streets away from those parks. The Boston Common is the oldest public park in the United States having been established in 1634. Now, they'd probably hang you from the nearest tree if you started digging there without special permission.
Archies still dig around both parks, mostly looking for early colonial & Indian artifacts . If one of our members ever finds one of these Hull creations,
being put in the banner would be an understatement in my opinion.
There should be a "Super Banner" established for such a find.
Great post ! Thanks for putting it out there. J.T.G.

Last edited:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Such an Incredible Find!!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Not only a great old coin, but in great condition. Congrats. You can stop detecting now.

striker

Nov 27, 2015
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab SDC 2300, Minelab CTX 3030, Falcon Md 20, and my old Fisher detector, Gold Cube
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings!

View attachment 2025803
Wow...just...Wow amazing piece of history... Congratulations

OP
OP
Silvermonkey

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update would be great OP if any... like... if you decided to send for grade or not.
Thanks for the comment ARC. I opted to not pursue getting this coin graded. For me, its priceless, and will forever hold a place of honor in my collection. I can't see the day when I would choose to sell it. If that day ever comes, I will certainly need to go through the grading process...but not today or the forseeable future. HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread