cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been dying to get out, but the ground here in the Berkshires is still too hard to get to. So I traveled south today in between appointments and found softer ground in nearby Connecticut, and just randomly parked the car as soon as I saw some open woods. Literally turned the Deus on and got a decent signal within the first couple sweeps under an old log. Figured it was a can because it sounded kind of big, but once I got under the log I could hear multiple signals.

First to come out was a Seated quarter, I couldn't believe it! Then another, and still there were signals in the hole, started to get pretty excited. When the dollar came out I nearly lost it, I couldn't believe my eyes! First dollar after 16 years detecting, I actually thought it was Seated because of the other coins, but then I saw the beautiful Morgan design!

IMG_0257.jpeg

Coins were coming out packed together, all in the same hole, I thought maybe I stumbled on a cache. Then I started finding bits of cloth mixed in the soil so I guess it could have been a purse or bag. Took a picture at the car and then after I got home, but I didn't want to mess with them too much because I like the way the corrosion looks where they were smashed together.

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0261.jpeg

The Morgan is 1885O, such a beautiful coin. Seated quarters are 1873, 1876S, 1877, and 185?, I think 55 but I don't want to remove the green. Dimes are 1877 and 1891, only one V nickel is legible 1890, and the IHs are 1864, 84, 86, 87, 96, and 3-95s. there was also a super-corroded Largie in the hole, never seen one that chewed up, not sure why.

IMG_0276.jpeg

Very cool to see the cents that were firmly packed together show areas where the copper is bright. Also never seen that before.

IMG_0275.jpeg

Still can't believe it, such a random one-in-a-million spot in the woods and I turned my machine on right next to it. One of the best finds I've ever had, already a great year!

HH,
Steve

Upvote 111

rsilva02667

Jan 8, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow what luck! I’d call that a cache all day even if it was stashed in an old purse or bag. Great find!!

JBnNC

May 25, 2013
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
What a great dig, I couldn't imagine all of those seated coins popping out!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's what a cache/spill should look like dirty, stained, stuck together, frozen in history-Man that is a beautiful sight-and so real!
Huge congrats and I will throw my vote in for this one.

berkshire mike

Oct 30, 2006
Mass
Detector(s) used
ORX
Awesome find! How exciting!!! Bring them over tomorrow, dad and I want to see them. Can’t wait to get dad out.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an amazing spill, to say the very least. It's the sort of thing of thing all of us dream of discovering. Even better is knowing this kind of stuff is still out there waiting to be found. I think it's Banner worthy, and my vote is in. Congratulations cheffer!

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is amazing! That is one of the things that I dream of. That seems banner worthy to me, just because there is so much silver and it is all quite old! My vote is in.

Heavygold4me

Jan 27, 2020
South mississippi
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 , Nox 600, Excalibur II, manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Awesome hunt, did you continue to hunt or called it a wrap? I don’t think I could’ve concentrated on hunting after that find.

OP
OP
cheffer

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome hunt, did you continue to hunt or called it a wrap? I don’t think I could’ve concentrated on hunting after that find.

I stayed right in the area for a little bit, but I didn't have a lot of time. As Arnold says I'll be back :laughing7:

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some amazing luck, send some my way :occasion14:

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that is the kind of stuff I always hoped to find. congrats! that's incredible

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow! That is truly a dream dig. Congrats!

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow ... a great season all in one hole - a huge congrats ! :occasion14:
And yes , a Banner find for sure !

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man you already nailed it this year and it's barely even March. The rest of the year is just gravy now.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man o man what a dig!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fantastic find !! Congrats !!!

"Then I started finding bits of cloth mixed in the soil so I guess it could have been a purse or bag." .........or.............................................................................................................................
...........it could have been in the pocket of some guy hunting or chopping down trees for firewood & never returned home because of an accident. "first couple sweeps under UNDER AN OLD LOG."
Not to be morbid, but things like that happened in the late 1800's-early 1900's, & still happen to this day.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are killer finds! I see what you mean by the corrosion...it does add a nice old look to it. Just amazing! Congratulations!:occasion14: banner for me too!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread