stirrup-profile.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 48

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like part of one to me also'

Upvote 0

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's not much left of this brass stirrup (if that's what it is). It's the right size for one, though, but the eye at the top has a different profile than the ones I've seen online. This was found at a site dating back to the 1850s. Thanks for your help in identifying it.
Sure does look like a broken stirrup, but I kept thinking something isn't right here. I'm surely no expert, my saddles were Tex Tan roping saddles, but my daughter used a jumping saddle. It finally came to me, the inside edges of the place where the stirrup leathers would go are way too sharp and would cause them to fail pretty quickly. Doesn't mean it's not a stirrup though, maybe unfinished, poorly designed, lot's of possibilities.

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is my opinion:
Although it can be dangerous to draw a conclusion from having only a piece of a relic, I think I can see enough to say this find appears to be a US Army Dragoons Model-1833 stirrup. Like this one, the M-1833 Dragoons stirrup was quite large, and heavily constructed of thick brass. But for me the "key" ID clue beyond the size and heavy brass construction is the equally heavy stirrup-strap attachment rectangle WHICH "LEANS", on the stirrup's top. Although the attachment rectangle is shaped just a little bit differently on Wobbleshank's find, that could simply be because it was produced by a different manufacturer than the M-1833 Dragoon stirrup in the photos below.

Note, you can clearly see the strap-attachment rectangle's lean" in the closeup sideview photo.

Attachments

• horsegear_stirrup_brass_model1833Dragoon_topsideview_ebay_c1d8_1.jpg
    horsegear_stirrup_brass_model1833Dragoon_topsideview_ebay_c1d8_1.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 24
  • horsegear_stirrup_brass_model1833dragoon_sideview_ebay_c070_1.jpg
    horsegear_stirrup_brass_model1833dragoon_sideview_ebay_c070_1.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 26
  • horsegear_stirrup_brass_model1833Dragoon_strapholder_closeup_ebay_c25a_1.jpg
    horsegear_stirrup_brass_model1833Dragoon_strapholder_closeup_ebay_c25a_1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Upvote 7
OP
OP
W

Wobbleshank

May 7, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is my opinion:
Although it can be dangerous to draw a conclusion from having only a piece of a relic, I think I can see enough to say this find appears to be a US Army Dragoons Model-1833 stirrup. Like this one, the M-1833 Dragoons stirrup was quite large, and heavily constructed of thick brass. But for me the "key" ID clue beyond the size and heavy brass construction is the equally heavy stirrup-strap attachment rectangle WHICH "LEANS", on the stirrup's top. Although attachment rectangle is shaped just a little bit differently on Wobbleshank's find, that could simply be because it was produced by a different manufacturer than the M-1833 Dragoon stirrup in the photos below.

Note, you can clearly see the strap-attachment rectangle's lean" in the closeup sideview photo.
I think you're right! McFeeters has a page on this stirrup with a side angle shot of the stirrup eye. You can see that theirs and my piece are practically identical. Thank you! This is pretty exciting, as this stirrup predates the site by about 20 years. Maybe someone served as a dragoon then went to settle in this burgeoning new town.

Attachments

• dragoon.jpg
    dragoon.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread